The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time poster.... I have been diving for about a year now and I am now looking at buying my first dive computer and want some advise. I am all for supporting my local dive shop but some Internet deals are 100s less then my local shop for computers. The best deal on line I have seen is Leisure Pro but I wanted other people experience with them when buying computers. I am currently wanting a Uwatec computer but are worried about the fact Uwatec's batteries aren't user changeble. Leisure Pro says they will match the warrenty including changing the batteries but does anyone have experience with this or experience with them changing batteries? Should I let this scare me off buying a Uwatec from Leisure pro and move to a brand w/ user changable batteries like a Suunto Mosquito?

There are a lot of differing opinions about LP...I for one have not problem with them, but don't expect customer service from them. They are good for buying stuff like fins, masks, lights, etc. from. I wouldn;t purchase something technical there.

There are a lot of other places to purchase online too. Look at diveinn.com. There are a lot of places out there...look around. Ask people, or you might even get some opinions for free here.

BTW- I don't think you should buy a computer until after you have a reg, bc, and other life supporting equipment first.

I have all my other equipement...scubapro regs and a zeagle concept II pro...and I have stayed away from a computer for a year to make sure I get a good understanding of the tables. But now I am getting my AOW and Nitrox certs, I want to get a computer. I am open to other places besides Leisure Pro, and am seeking opinions and options. Just Leisure Pro seems to have the best price for what I want.

The batteries on Uwatec computers last for a really long time. I have a Pro Nitrox that is almost 5 years old and has over 300 dives on it. The battery indicator reads 65% remaining. Chances are if you buy one now, you will not be replacing the battery for 7 years or more. By that time there is no telling what will be available in a new computer.

Personally, I think the Pro Ultra wrist mount for $300 is the best deal out of the Uwatec line. It does not have all the features of other computers for that price, but they are easy to read and very reliable. Downloading capability is definitely limited. The Smart Pro is $400 and will tell you the temperature and has lots more memory for downloading, but the microbubble level feature is not useful because the optional level stops obscure remaining no-stop time in the display.

IMO, the most frequent cause of dive computer failures is dead batteries. I can't think of a dive trip that I have been on where someone did not have a battery go out in a computer with replaceable batteries. The long life battery in Uwatec computers minimizes that problem. The next most frequent failure is caused by leakage into the battery compartment. On Uwatec computers the battery compartment is sealed up and packed with a gel to minimize the chances of leakage. Next down the line is pressure sensors, which is why AI computers seem to fail a bit more often than the others. they have two pressure sensors.

Remember nothing is 100% going to prevent you from getting bent. Use your brain. Read the Dr. Deco forum. There is a ton of good advice in it.

Please, no one interpret this as disparaging other brands of computers. There are a lot of happy users of Suunto, Oceanic/Aeris and other brands out there.

I've seen quite a few divers make potentially dangerous mistakes because they didn't know how to interpret the information on their rented dive computer. My computer was the first major peice of gear I bought, and I'm glad. I learned what the various numbers mean and I know exactly what it is trying to tell me. I didn't ever have to go through the excercise of learning a new dive computer with each subsequent rental, and keeping all the different models sorted out in my rapidly aging, slightly addled mind.

With the exception of the first few check out dives I did, I have all of my logged dives in my electronic log for future reference. I can see how my profiles and ascent speeds have been over my entire diving "career."

I've neer had trouble adjusting to a strange BC or regulator (while working in pool sessions or that time that American Airlines misplaced my luggage) but whever I've looked at a strange computer, I've been completely flummoxed.

IMHO, a computer should be one of the first things a new diver purchases. No, it hasn't rotted my brains. Yes I still understand the dive tables well enough to explain them to OW students. But the computer makes recreational diving safer, easier and more fun for me.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

BTW- I don't think you should buy a computer until after you have a reg, bc, and other life supporting equipment first.

I purchased my Aeris Atmos II from LP. So far I really like the computer, large numbers, illuminated display, audible alarms, easy to operate. Since I am in NJ and work in NYC, LP is very accessable for me. I shop there in person and it makes things a lot easier. I have bought quite a few things from LP and never had a problem.

I bought my Cobra from leisure pro and could not be happier.

I have bought 90% of my gear from them and have been very pleased. They have been about switching out wrong sizes and returns. No hassle at all.

LP is awesome.

I bought my Uwatec computer from LP. Great prices and good customer service. Warranty is as good as the manufacturers. I wouldn't worry about battery replacement. By the time it needs to be changed you'll want a new compouter. If you do pay for a battery replacement you'll still be ahead considering the money saved with the initial purchase price.

Back
Top Bottom