The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver once bubbled...

The facts are you're attemping to have someone else define your dive gear for you because you can't even buy it yet. The fact that that doesn't bother you should tell you something.

WOW............Thats funny, because Ive seen LOTS of people (even expierienced ones) asking for info on equipment. As far as "define" my gear, no. I have a list of equipment already picked out and was just looking for additional information/feedback. I have yet too find a jacket I like and was trying to see if the problems are as bad as Ive been told. Im trying to see if the equipment im looking at is suited for my possible use. I am attending Halls because they have been more than usefull and friendly, and they accept the G.I. bill. Weather or not i go directly into teaching is up in the air, but if I do, I want my initial gear to be suitable. I by no means want to get on anyones nerve, but would like a little more courtesy. Yes, my first reply to you was loaded with attitude, but you also could have been a little more subtle in your response. I appreciate the oppinion, just not how it was worded. The fact that i will be certified in three months did make me uneasy, but the number of hours attained during the schooling helped a little. I realize this is a job dealing with peoples live and that they are ultimatley my responsability.

Xeno,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to really listen to what these guys are telling you.

It is very possible to get an instructors certificate in a short period of time thru an organization such as you mention.

The problem is, you really haven't gained any experience. And that's what's needed to not only make YOUR diving better, but also to pass on to your students. You can only get this over time and by going out and diving outside of the classroom.

When I get asked the question: "How do I find a good instructor", my first answer is to find one that dives A LOT. He/she are the one that can pass on their experiences to you.

Here are the qualifications of my instructor, Brandon Schwartz ( http://www.scubaguys.com/SGHomePage.htm )

Diving Qualifications

DIR Fundamentals Instructor
GUE Tech 1 Diver
GUE Open Water Scuba Instructor PADI
Oxygen Provider Instructor DAN
Nitrox Instructor PADI
Medic First Aid Instructor PADI
Cave I GUE
Full Cave NACD/IANTD
Nitrox through Trimix IANTD
Hard Hat/ Commercial Diving ACDE

Diving Experience Summary

Diving since 1986
1500+ Logged Dives
200+ Great Lakes Wreck Dives
32 Cave Dives
25 Dives Utilizing DPV

If a student were to ask you what your experience level was after completing the course your mention, what would you say?

Dive safe,

Jack

It comes down to 15k, plus your room which is like 600 a month. you also have to have your own gear. A little pricey, but they spend a week on each subject, unlike most schools who only take a day to show you the breakdown of a reg. The full course takes three months to accomplish. try there web site or look in a dive mag and find there ad.:D You looking at attending?

I agree totally. One of the reasons I will be diving on my down days. I have/am cosidering getting certified before i attend. The only reason I doubt it is that I dont want to be trained incorrectly. I figured that an institute with the resources of Halls had to be atleast above par. They have many shops that hire through them exclusively. Once again, I dont want to seem like a punk who just wants to justify his ways. I never just jump into something, ecspecially with something as serious as this.

XenoMorph2049 once bubbled...
You looking at attending?

I think that it would be a lot of fun. It is just a tad beyond my financial ability at this time, however.

XenoMorph2049 once bubbled...

but you also could have been a little more subtle in your response.

I was being subtle.

And trust me when I tell you Mech is right - he was being subtle.

I am absolutely appalled to think someone can go from Intro to Instructor in a way you just described. Such a "training" institute sounds like a giant scam job, not something "above par."

Sad, sad, sad. Nothing personal or directed at you, but if your only dive credentials were what you're trying to accomplish here, there's no way I'd want you as an instructor. With respect, you don't even know what a backplate and wing is!

Please reconsider. If you insist on making a living in the water, go be a commercial diver or something - but don't train the next generation of divers.

Please.

To answer your original question a back inflate BC will not automatically push you face down in the water. I personally like vest style BC's but I have used back inflates.

The back inflates are very stable at the surface and as long as you do not fully inflate it you will have no problems. Even if you do fully inflate them a small kick with your fins will flip you on your back then all you have to do is enjoy floating in the waves.

If you go with a back inflate that is weight intregrated be sure to have your weight properly distibuted in the BC (i.e. between the main pouches and the trim pockets). Too much weight in the trim pockets will cause you to flip on your back underwater. Also if you go with weight integration of the BC make sure the weight pouches do not sit on your kidneys. After about five minutes your back will be very sore.

Also I applaud your desire to instruct others in SCUBA, but remeber that no amount of training can compare to actual open water experience. You will understand this more when you start your actual open water dives.

Good Luck

How many dives do you guys think someone should make before they become an openwater instructor?

100? 200?

ew1usnr once bubbled...
How many dives do you guys think someone should make before they become an openwater instructor?

100? 200?

You can't quantify it that easily. PADI says 100 (or at least they did, might be 40 by now). It is actually quite easy to instruct someone enough to get a c-card. Teaching them how to dive is something else entirely, and that's where the experience and real world dives come in, as well as many more variables.

MD

Back
Top Bottom