The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main reason for face down floatation in a BP or even jacket style BC is NOT the bladder placement, or even how much weight you wear... it's weight PLACEMENT.

In a BP wing rig, your weight should be on the sides of your hips towards the rear.. not in front of you. Ideally the weight should be between you and the bladder... hence an SS plate of 6# can usually center your weight just fine.

Trim weights can be placed on your tank strap (upper strap) to move your center of gravity closer to your center of buoyancy.

I have no problem floating with my Pioneer 27... even fully inflated at the surface (but at full inflation, I do have to lean back a bit)

Another trick for back inflated BCs... instead of leaning back (since you still have to fin against your BC and this can get tiring) ... try lying down completely. It feels like you're on a water bed :wink: And you don't have to keep finning backwards.

Ok. Heres the deal. I have benn steered awa from a back inflated bc due to me going for a instructo job. I am attending Halls Dive Institute. I like the back inflate for the freedom of movement an lack of frontal clutter. I have been told that a back inflate wont work for an instructor bacause it will be trying to make me do a face-plant when Im at the surface, which is where I'll be most of the time. How much of a problem is this really? On my personal dives, I'll be doing harvesting for my tanks, and the back inflate is ideal for positioning. Also Im looking at the SP Kighthawk for back inflate or the Classic plus for a jacket. Any thing better for all around versatility?

You will not be pushing face forward in a back inflate bc. Just don't fully inflate the bc til it burps. Did the school tell you not to get it?

No. That was three of my LDS. Also, waht are the wings I've read about and where can i find a pic? The only LDS I've found that I like are NAUI. There awsome and have been exteremly helpfull and ofer a 24 rental to try out someting to see if you like it. Im not certified yet so I cant try out a BC.

XenoMorph2049 once bubbled...
No. That was three of my LDS. Also, waht are the wings I've read about and where can i find a pic? The only LDS I've found that I like are NAUI. There awsome and have been exteremly helpfull and ofer a 24 rental to try out someting to see if you like it. Im not certified yet so I cant try out a BC.

You're not even certified and you're "going for an instructor job"?

I would suggest you at least learn how to dive first.

WOW! Im so glad you thought of that!...........I am not somebody who just woke up one day and said "I wanna teach diving!" This is something Ive been wanting to do for a while. I have loved the water since i was old enogh to know what it was.
I never had the opportunity to get certified because my parents were over protective on some things and simply could not afford to get me classes. Im not just going to go to my LDS, get certified, and start trying to teach. I have been doing research on it for some time now and realize theres not much money to be made, but the oportunity to help people achieve one of there ambitions and discover something most people dont even think about is an awsome opportunity. I might be young but Im not stupid or completly nieve. I realize that expierience can make a good diver, but experience can also make a bad diver. You get some of these closed minded people who get taught the wrong way and stick with it because its "the way they were taught". I will be attending the full course selection from Halls Diving Institute and will be diving on the two days off a week to gain experience and to understand the aspects more thoroughly. I think I am atleast one step ahead of most begginers simply for the fact that I am here, trying to get good information so I have more of an understanding of the dynamics of the sport. I dont mean to rant but i was looking for some good information and not bad chritisism. Please learn the fact before jumping to conclusions..........I am.

I've got to side with MechDiver on this one. I really suggest you learn how to dive... then dive a lot, and dive some more... then decide if you want to be an instructor.

Also....communication, both verbal and written, is a large part of being an instructor of anything. You may wish to work on the written skills part.

Please learn the fact before jumping to conclusions..........I am.

The facts are you're attemping to have someone else define your dive gear for you because you can't even buy it yet. The fact that that doesn't bother you should tell you something.

Having the desire to do something, and actually having the experience are two entirely different things. Desire doesn't mean much when you don't even know what equipment to buy.

Besides which, a puppy mill will not make you an instructor. It may give you a card that says you are however.

And, you might want to get a few hundred dives before you get an attitude.

Yes, my spelling stinks.:) I have no problem with oppinions, but his reply came off as completely arrogant. To top it off, it made no contribution to the questions i have asked. Your own reply was much more subtle and appropriate. Why would I need so much dive time to know Id love it? How many people have you met that have given it a fair try and said "Nope, dont like it, iot stinks and is a waste of time"? I do know the more hands on ive got, the more it will make me comfortable and knowledgable and an overall compitent teacher. Ive spent most of my life snorkleing and i just want to take it a step further.

. I will be attending the full course selection from Halls Diving Institute

How much does Halls charge to go from introduction to instructor? How long does it take?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom