The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try not fulling inflating your BC at the surface and just lean back and the one you got should work just fine.

I did try that and it helped but still seemed to require more effort that a jacket-style BC. Also, the remote dump valve is located in an arkward place on the bottom right on the rear side of the Balance BC, which is tough to grab. The Pro Unlimited has two front dump valves - one on top and one on bottom that seem to be more practical (but at a price).

Mike=-)

If you need to put enough air in it that it pushes you face down just getting positivly buoyant, maybe you are overweighted.

bigal....

To answer your question....I have the SeaQuest Pro Q D with the velcro straps and prefer the velcro. I am a hefty dude at 229 and I wear the extra large. It is a great bcd. I would recommend the model with the velcro and just keep it clean....you will have no problems. Even with a max surface inflation i have no difficulty with orientation.

If you have any specific questions....pm me.

When I had the same problem, someone had me transfer 4 lbs. to the back tank strap. It did fix the problem. However, as I gained more experience, I found I no longer needed the the tank weight to assist me with orientation.

I use 36 lb on a zeagle. I put 10 lb in the tank band pockets (the rest in the rip cord pockets) and float near upright at the surface, if inflated properly, not pumped right up and little air in my dry suit.

Some people don't like back inflation 1) the surface floatation angle or 2) the inability to feel the air going into the vest and causing a slight squeeze.

To each his own.
:D

I didn't have any problems with the Balance, but if you are set on looking at the jacket BC's, I would choose the ProQD+ over the Unlimited. The Pro Unlimited adds a few things, but not worth the extra price IMO.
The difference between the Unlimited and the ProQD+ : a knife, a cummerbund pocket, integrated retractor, adjustable chest strap, and the rear pull dump handle is routed to the front instead of being at the back. It also has the self-adjusting lumbar support. Except for the knife, I think they are all bells and whistles that you can do without, and hardly worth the extra $350. (And you can buy the knife for $40 and attach it the same way, as all Seaquest BC's have the attachment holes for the rivets.)

Paulwlee:

Are you sure the Unlimited has the pull for the right rear lower dump in front instead of in back? My biggest complaint is that it's difficult to reach the rear pull dump when you are the in heads-down position. Relocating the pull dump to front would give you the best of both worlds, since you would have an upper and lower pull dump on the right front of your BC with easy access. Is this correct?

Mike

Yes, if you look at the picture of the Pro Unlimited at the Seaquest website, you will see a pull dump on the lower left (or the lower right front of the BC). In the features section it lists the new easy-to-reach rear right pull dump. I recently examined all Seaquest BC's (except the women's and the lower ends) in great detail at my LDS when I was shopping for a new BC, and that's when I noticed that.

I think it doesn't make much difference, since the rear pull-dump on a jacket BC is easier to get to than with a back-inflation BC anyway. I find it hard to justify spending the extra $350 for that. But, if that's enough reason for you, then whatever is best for you! :D
BTW, I'd urge you to try both in a pool if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom