The Grail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I see that now, when looking about on the www. I see there were two variants or generations of the 156 CE. I am glad that mine does not have the plastic sleeve though I am sure it was considered an improvement. I can get my plastic sleeve fix on my G260 which I like very much.

I have this beat up old G250 that a LDS gave to me as trash. I cleaned it up, sanded the case and then flame polished it back to something near presentable and then rebuilt it with all the latest parts. It pains me to say that it not only breaths better than my other G250s but also better than my G260s and this 156. Since all the magic is in the air tube assembly I think I need to just pull it and insert it into one of my prettier G250s :( . And it ain't got no stinking sleeve on it either!
You found something on the web about the CE with a sleeve?

I haven’t been able to find anything not even a drawing. Scubapro rep is trying to dig up info on the one I have, it has a very strange serial number.

I'll try the flame. Thanks for the idea. You use a lighter or something stronger? I'm nervous.

Uh, you should be (nervous). I use a heat gun originally but switched to a propane torch but I have a new heat gun with a better output to try next time. Your goal is to fan the heat (not the flame) over the area until you see a glossing. Scratches and dents will not be removed by using heat but the edges may be reduced. I have used a lighter for a spot fix. The only purpose, really, of using the heat is to get rid of the fuzz and white appearance that develops after heavy sanding. Your Neatsfoot method is safer.

Where the flame works best is the edges of the exhaust tee that get banged up. Sand (wet-dry 600/1500 wet with water and Dawn as a lubricant) the edges to smooth and then use the heat to get rid of the fuzz and gloss the surface.

Thank you Sir. I'll buy a cheap propane torch. I'm all about trying new ways. The scratched up one I posted is a parts donor so I'm not too bothered if I destroy it. Cheers.

Thank you Sir. I'll buy a cheap propane torch. I'm all about trying new ways. The scratched up one I posted is a parts donor so I'm not too bothered if I destroy it. Cheers.

Good for that! I may now not only be responsbile for people burning their masks up but now also their regulators. Just consider that some people, me being one of them, have a knack for fire and flames and blowing things up :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom