The Future of Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get digitals just have them put the pictures on a CD when you develop them.
I have a new deal with my camera shop I get the CD and no pictures, I dress them up on the computer then they print them out for me no extra charge. 36 pictures and CD cost me $10. Last trip to Aruba all my friends had digitals, all my pictures with my MMII ex came out better. Seems a lot of people go cheap digital $600 or less and no strobe. Nice blue pictures if that's what you want. I want a digital also but to get a nice one you have to pay. So I wait, till my wife will let me.

reidman:
I want a digital also but to get a nice one you have to pay. So I wait, till my wife will let me.

So to break down this post, you want a digital, but your wife won't let you spend the money. Not much of a pro film arguement there. :D

I don't know what kind of shooter you are, but at $10 per 36 my last trip to FL would have cost me about $550 in film processing assuming that $10 per 36 includes film which for me would be low. Granted I would not have shot nearly the number of images had I been using film.

I just sold ALL my film camera's. By beloved MF Hasselblad, my Nikon F4s... It was kinda like selling off old friends, but I'm just not using them, and I don't see going back to film. Anyone need a darkroom setup?:(

rtavernetti:
You can get consistently great results with your film system if you know it well. With a completely manual camera it can take years. I have mine cameras down now to where nearly the entire roll (35/36) is fairly good, and about 3 really nice shots per roll. You dont need to see the final pic to know you just wasted a frame. Shooting a good roll takes restraint. It takes allot of time with the camera though. All my friends have digitals and their pic's never compare to mine. However they have had them for around 1 year and as they shoot more that will likely change. There are lots of things about digital I would love to have. However right now I get really good consistent results with my film camera so I'm happy with it. No matter what you get keep it compact and agile. So many people leave their camera behind on tough dives or miss tough shots because rigs are pigs.

A MMII, 16mm lens, Macro2t and YS-60 that you can free hand is all you need. You can likely get it all for $350 or less on ebay. If you camera floods, buy another for less than $50 on ebay. My biggest complaint is sharing pics. Right now I just scan prints in with my junky fax and the quality is awful. So if you want digital pics, well there is something to be said for starting in that format.

Now you still have to learn to use it which might be frustrating and never happen if you cant get a few hundred dives in with it. However that may be true no mater what your shooting.

want to share images?? when having the film developed ask for a cd , alot of companies developing print film now can include this option easily..I shoot with a couple of nikonos 5's and use that option since I discovered it was available.I also use a digital camera for some shoots too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom