The final Choice (Drysuits)

Which Suit ?

• ND CNX £500 possibly through LDS so may include orientation (2.5mm Compressed Neo)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Otter Britannic £400 through nice people up north (membrane - Front Entry)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
Hi

I'm asking this in the Uk section as the brands I am considering are both UK and so you guys are more likely to have experience.

The field has narrowed to two

ND CNX £500 possibly through LDS so may include orientation (2.5mm Compressed Neo)

Otter Britannic £400 through nice people up north (membrane - Front Entry)

Also any advice on what undersuits and where would be appreciated also.

Cheers

Conor

I'm on my second Otter brittanic - although this time I've gone for neoprene seals on it, and a back entry. Worth paying the extra to get MTM tho' rather than compromising on fit. When it dies I'll replace it with the same again.
The old 1999 Brittanic is still usable, if a bit damp, but then its been very heavily abused, and owes me nothing. Customer service is good too from Otter, even from this distance.
Northern Diver had problems a couple of years back, and a few folk had trouble with leaky suits, not sure how they are now.
If you want a compressed neoprene, consider Ben's from Scapa Scuba, all made to measure, nice looking suits - the local salmon farm and clam divers use them, so they must be good.
For undersuits, the weezles are great, get the extreme if you intend diving through winter, with their snuggly socks

I cannot personally comment on either from use but went through the same thing when buying mine.

Otter - expensive but very good suits, MTM can be a really good idea but be careful that you get the measurements right because AFAIK otter will not replace a suit if you made the measurements yourself. One buddy dives otter and loves it.

ND - £400 seems a bit much to pay. Have you looked at the ND website itself under the drysuit clearance? You may get the same suit for a bit cheaper and if your LDS is a ND dealer then you can have it delivered to them to check for fit etc. My second buddy uses Northern diver and got a £700 suit for £400 as it was made to measure for someone else and did't fit so ND were trying to get rid of it.

Anyway I eventually settled on the Typhoon Nexus, nice light weight but very durable suit. Lovely fit and great movement. Also I swear by my Oceanic Uggi Baer undersuit and a pair of totes toasties slipper socks :wink:

The ND suit is normally £800 ish so £400 is a good price for it.

So who voted for each ?

For me I prefer the look of the ND suits but I prefer the reputation of Otter. Hard to choose from the two having not dived them.

I live in the U.S., but the custom cut suits available in the US were way too expensive, so I actually mail ordered a custom fit ND CNX and the ND Flectalon 200 undergarment. I can't comment on the Otter, but my ND CNX suit is outstanding- excellent construction, well appointed with pockets, knee pads, warm neck, zipper protector (velcro flap). The Flectalon 200 suit is plenty warm and good at wicking the perspiration away from my body- I was perfectly comfortable in 40 degree farenheit water last winter. Best of luck with your purchase.

One buddy is an instructor and in the water a lot at all times of year went for the ND Divemaster. Loves it, doesn't own an undersuit, he wears a tracksuit bottom and light sweater under and has never been cold so that could save you a little money for the moment. Finds it fits more snugly and doesn't catch on thingswhen you are poking around on wrecks or crawling through things.

To be honest I think it will come to personal preference between these suits as they are both excellent suits with good reputations. All I an say is had I been able to afford it I would have gone for a ND suit.

I voted for the neoprene. I have dived with both styles, and the neoprene needs less weight, you get the slightest leak and it still keeps you warm (wetsuit principle) and I found it more comfortable to move in. I would rather plump for a neoprene any day.

I also have a Flec undersuit and that was MTM (not sure who for!!!) but it is very warm.

The only downside is the option to have it MTM by Northern Diver.
I have known the ND people for 10 years since I ran a dive school in Sussex, and their operating methods have not changed for the better in all that time.

I am not going to berate the company, because their product is superb, but my MTM to 5 months to make, they have spelt my name wrong on the pocket, and the dump valve is in the wrong place on my arm.

I cant remember where you are, but if you are in the vicinity of the North of England, pop into ND and have a look around.

Have you thought of a company, (whose director Martin has an enorrrrrrrrrrrmous capacity for beer and curry) called Beaver.
They do quality suits and MTM and are nromally £100 cheaper for a 4mm comp than ND.

But at the end of the day it is what you are comfortable in.

Do a dry suit course (if you have not done one yet) and try them both out.

I swear by the Otter Britannic, love the thing
im interested in where your getting it for £400, does that include any undergarments?

let me know :)

Its some excess stock, and just includes suit, valve etc. If you want the details just PM me.

Back
Top Bottom