The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried split fins once after hearing a friend rave about them and didn't like them. It was like having a wet paper bag strapped to your foot. But then I've done a lot of freediving and for that I use the Cressi Gara Professional fins.

CRS0188.jpg

I'd suggest freediving style of fin are the most efficient type of bi fin on the market which is why they are typically used when setting all the dynamic breath hold records. They deliver a lot of power when required. I used freediving fins recently for scuba diving and really enjoyed it. Idling along requires only the lightest flutter. The down side is that some people may find them more difficult to learn and use and they are more cumbersome in tight places just because of their sheer size. Because of the length, jumping into the water from a height puts a lot of strain on the back of the fin and I've had mine crack in the past. For scuba I use the Cressi Reaction fins which seems a good compromise. And they come in blue!

reaction1.jpg

That said I've seen a dive master swimming along is some pretty stiff current using split fins and was impressed. It's a subjective thing. You need to be comfortable with whatever you end up with. Several people here pointed out split fins are are relatively easy on your knees. They are apparently forgiving if your finning technique is not so good but I don't think that is a good reason to use them. Better to learn how to fin properly. If your boyfriend is buying them a compromise position might be best. You should be able to get a nice blue pair that do the job.

Some split fins are too "sloppy" to give goo propulsion while others are great. I use a large split fin as it reduces leg fatigue and cramps for us over 60 crowd. As a younger person, consider a streamlined semi-stiff fin like the old blades or their equivalent. shop around. Most makes will come in blue so you can get your color.
DivemasterDennnis

Get some non-split fins.
Why?....because your boyfriend want to buy you a pair of fins, and doesn't want to spend money on split fins.

No point kidding yourself about it....you will end up with more than one pair sooner or later; so buy your own split fins later on.

Then you'll have them both, and can feel the difference for yourself.
Different fins are like gears on a bike.

For me personally.....split fins are like that gear that's too easy, and you start spinning it out....so I don't like split fins.

I don't like split fins, because I have actually used them, and found they didn't provide enough bite or resistance in the water for my liking.

The split fin crack heads, are going to tell you that diving their split sfins are just the most magical experience for them.
The Jet fin crack heads are going to tell you that it's the only fin you'll ever need.

Me.....I like trying out new stuff, so I own more than one pair. I've sold a few pairs in the past also, after trying them out, and not liking them.
Perhaps you will end up doing the same.

My preference.....I happen to like Jets.
My reason....I like the subtle control they give, and I like the bite or resistance the provide to me. I like the feeling of feed back I get form that type of fin.

@Dan.

I also free dive....I don't know about that whole scuba on free dive fins, Man.

I might have to try it out for the hell of it....but I kind of doubt it is something I would really switch to for scuba. Free dive fins are fins that I use with a much smoother flutter kick cycle; not what I use on scuba. I'll try it one day though.

I've tried force fins before, the Accelerating model for 8 dives...to give them a fair chance.
They were ok....but I wasn't feeling what the hype was saying about them.

A final thought...they are all good. They will all move your through the water. You eventually will naturally alter you kick cycle to fall into the sweet spot of whatever fin you are using.

Some fins click better with different people, which explains why some people really fall in love with certain fins.

One day, you will fall in love with some fins too.

Perhaps it will be the pair your BF buys for you.
Awwwww. :D:cloud9:

I tried the Scubapro split fins and felt like I couldn't get any traction. Just too soft and floppy. I really like the Tusa Expert Zoom fins and now have a pair that are extra stiff that I think I prefer to the regular ones. If I had only tried the Scubapro splits I would be a split fin hater. In my opinion they are awful. So it may not be just split fins or non split fins but the precise brand and type that works for us. On the other hand I have a pair of Avanti fins that I like fine but they cramp my legs more so I never use them since I got the Expert Zooms.

My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins.

NotTheFins.png

But seriously...

You think you like them. How do you know you're right? What do you even mean when you say "you like them"?

I'm going to make a pronouncement, and there's about an 85% or greater chance that I'm right:

"Your finning technique is wrong."

Why do I believe this, without ever having seen you? Because I've worked with hundreds of new divers in the water. I've seen thousands of certified divers in the water. 85% or more of them are finning incorrectly. (I've been a swimmer all my life and most of the thousands of recreational swimmers I see don't kick properly.) Statistically, I have no reason to believe that you're any different. (And I don't mean "frog kick vs flutter" etc. I mean just poor finning technique - bicycle kicking, kicking too hard, not kicking hard enough, not using the fin surfaces properly, etc.

It's not a knock on you... you don't have any experience or training yet.

So... since you don't know what you're doing? How do you know you like split-fins? What do you even mean when you say you like them? Are they easy to move through the water? (That's good or bad) Do you go fast? (That's often more bad that good) Do they move easily/quickly through the water... but you don't go fast? (That's bad.) Did you have a full set of scuba gear on at the time? (That might make a difference, no?)

Split Fins might end up being the right fins for you... but you're not currently in any position to determine that.

So, just as I'm going with pretty good odds in my pronouncement above... I suggest you should play the odds as well.

Split fins are loved by some, disliked by many, hated by some.
Paddle fins are loved by many, disliked by some, hated by few.

With nothing else to go on... paddle fins statistically have a better chance of being "the right fins" for you than do split fins.

Why do I believe this, without ever having seen you? Because I've worked with hundreds of new divers in the water. I've seen thousands of certified divers in the water. 85% or more of them are finning incorrectly. (I've been a swimmer all my life and most of the thousands of recreational swimmers I see don't kick properly.) Statistically, I have no reason to believe that you're any different. (And I don't mean "frog kick vs flutter" etc. I mean just poor finning technique - bicycle kicking, kicking too hard, not kicking hard enough, not using the fin surfaces properly, etc.

It's not a knock on you... you don't have any experience or training yet.

Agree. I see a lot of inexperienced divers doing the bicycle kick and that is one of a number of problems. Poor quality fins don't help.

Here is a video of a freestyle swimmer learning to kick properly. Note that it was going to take weeks to relearn the kick!

Freestyle - Flutter Kick Fix - YouTube

Ya know, I love these debates. I can't stay away. Kinda like when you have have an opened wound in your jaw/gum from a root canal? You have to keep touching it with your tongue; Just to know you're alive. I'll spare you guys my colonoscopy metaphor. Cheers. Everybody have a pleasant and healthy year.

Reactions: RJP
Split fins bad
fi_25.385.dps-2.jpg
pSPDO1-7365384p275w.jpg
Jet fins good

Hope your class goes great!

As for fins....take all the feedback with a grain of salt. I dive a Apollo Bio Split Fin and love it. But they are crazy heavy and I've lent them to friends who hated them.
I sprung for new Seawing NOVAs and hated them...hard for me to use on the surface. My partner thinks they're the best Finn he's ever dove. I have another dive buddy who prefers a closed heel fin. How is that even possible, I wonder? Whatever.

Best advice: Try a few types. Talk to people diving your home waters. Maybe borrow fins from friends or friends of your SO. Then buy your favorite. Learn to use them correctly. Be awesome!
Finally, I have no idea why your BF is trying to control your fin selection. Lots of possible reasons. Regardless, its best to start as you mean to finish in these situations. I'd buy my own fins.

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom