The Englishmans Capitano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UKcarl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all, Greetings from England.

I bought my compressor in 2002. I always thought it was a Capitano. The seller was a Compressor Technician and had refurbished it (but not the Honda engine) prior to offering it for sale. It came from his fathers Fishing Trawler. There is no ID plate on it (I assumed it was on the original belt guard) and only one number stamped into the block. 2//190.

What you see in the photos ( Flickr: cd345345's Photostream ) is what I bought. I changed the engine immediately, the Honda was too smoky, but I’ve done nothing to the Bauer in 11 years, not even changed a filter. It has filled only 6 cylinders since 2002. (Long story, don’t ask)

I am now at an age where you start to get rid of your toys. I advertised it for sale recently. It sold instantly. The buyer asked me to renew the oil and filter materials (at his expense), because his time was limited. He worked overseas and would collect it on his next quick visit back to the UK. No problem.

The Separator was easy, I have a fuzzy photocopy of a Bauer Capitano Parts List and it was shown there in exploded view as 2681K

The second filter wasn’t shown in the paperwork that I have . . so I searched the Web. Couldn’t find it anywhere . . . until I found your forum and a photograph by a member. It’s the type with the blue plastic cartridge filled with Activated Carbon and two felt pads.

Your forum is an absolute wealth of information, but the more I read, the more concerned I became. I had not seen a compressor that exactly matched my own, in all of the photos I’d looked at. I saw many similarities but none exactly the same.

Anyway, I re-packed the blue cartridge with new A.C. and felt pads, even though what I took out was clean and dry. I then ran the compressor and topped up a scuba cylinder to try and ‘guesstimate’ the fill rate, knowing that if it was a Capi it should be around 140 l/min (5cfm).

According to my math, it was 63 l/min (2.23 cfm) . . . (19 mins to put 80 bar into a 15 litre cylinder) but there are a couple of gentle air leaks . . . one from a small valve? in the top of the 3rd stage head and one from the large PRV ? on the top of the second filter (the A.C. filter).

Also I realised that the flywheel diameter is 15 inches, not 17 ¾ inches as on a Capi

I emailed the buyer, told him what I had discovered, told him that it may not be a Capi and that whatever it was, it needed work. I then offered him a full refund, which he took.

I would now be very grateful to you guys for your input. Having read many of the contributions by your knowledgeable Forum members, it’s clear that you guys know what you’re talking about. I’m hoping that after seeing the pictures of my machine you’ll know exactly what I have here and all other necessary info e.g. what speed it should be running at, (The petrol engine runs at 3600 rpm, the belt pulley is 5 ¼ inches dia.) and how I can repair it properly.

Unless it really is junk, I want to sell it knowing that it’s in good working order. Thanx in advance, Have a Great Christmas, Best Regards and Safe Diving.

Carl

The existing filtration on that unit is totally inadequate for breathing air, by todays standards. If you sell it, you need to inform the buyer of that fact.

Carl

IMHO its not junk sell it as is on Ebay or the like and make an easy £500
Just don't bother messing about with it

1. Your measurements are a bit wrong.

The driving pulley on the motor is 125mm (4.92 inches) and not 5.25 inches
Therefore if the driven pulley on the block if that as you say 15 inch, 380mm
Then you have a ratio of 3.04:1

If the petrol engine output is indeed 3600 RPM (full throttle) then your pump RPM is running around 1184 RPM

If the driver was a true 5.25" nearest metric 132mm then you would be running around 1254 RPM . You also need to measure at PCD pitch centre diameter but both are pretty much near enough to the 1300 RPM design.

2. However as your charging rate is only 63 l/min you need first to secure those leaks especially interstage, however if also the second stage relief valve is also leaking then assume first its doing its job correctly and you have high interstage pressure, That will be caused by a leaking or sticky 3rd stage inlet valve allowing high press back to the 2nd stage where it has to dump the excess out of the relief valve for safety.

3. Its not junk, but in addition to the possible valve/s problem you may want to check it out also for piston blow-by, that is the rings are so worn you loose pressure generated past the compression rings and back into the crankcase. Maximum allowable blow-by before a piston ring change was 20 L/min, and you way past that.

All in all IMHO if your going to start this job be prepared for some heavy bills. After which when you've spent £500 on parts it will still be worth only £500 on selling.

£30 per valve set and £350 for a filter tower and £20 for an oil change, £15 air filter £20 for the filter chemical etc etc

If I were you It may be better just to dump it out on E-bay as is and some idiot will grab it for £500 and think he has a bargain. Just looked your address. I dare say in UK you will get even more.

To windyairman and iain/hsm, Thank you very much for your frank, in-depth replies. I am a wiser man now.

Thanx also to CraigAClark for your comment.

I am indebted to you all. Many Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom