Question Capitano 1993

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diegomp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone. A 1993 bauer capitano compressor 225bar 5 cfm 140 l/min has fallen into my hands. It carries the old filter tower p21 with the old 225 bar safety valve. Thinking about changing the tower, the original p21 bauer with the safety valve at the bauer distributor ask me for €1,700 and 3 to 3 months of delivery. Everything seems excessive to me!! Someone knows of cheaper alternatives or at least that allows me to use filters with more autonomy, taking into account that I need the complete system with safety valve and PMV. Thank you

Test the tower

Where's the pictures

Can expand on this a little

P21 housing is an aluminium vessel that's good for 35000 load cycles at 0-230 bar. 1 cycle is 1 x fill to 230 bar and 1 x empty to 0 bar. Assuming you drain the compressor every 15 mins it means the P21 is good for about 8750 running hours.

You would never see that many hours on a Capitano so you're probably fine, even though it's a 30 year old second hand machine with no history (and probably no hour meter). At least now you can make some kind of informed decision on replacing it

Testing it is a good idea for peace of mind but that doesn't magically requalify it for a further X years of service. You can't treat it like a cylinder, the filter is subject to significantly more load stress/fatigue than a cylinder ever is.

People don't like the load cycle limit as it sounds like a way for manufacturers to replace perfectly good (and bloody expensive) parts. Your view will change on that when you see them explode though... I've seen a few. Some from age/fatigue, some from misuse. Either way it's not something you want to be involved in yourself

and yes pictures

If my reply is a bit weird I'm using some old back of the cupboard tomato sauce on my pie, I think it has fermented

I'm not a figures guy at all, but a cycle is a pumping to 150bar when the pmv opens the orifices and drain
So lets say two cycles a tank with the Capitano and more for smaller compressors and less for larger ones
Depending on where you set your pmv, and no it is not a tank it is a vessel with flow through it at 150 bar

Everything else you say, is very sound important to be abided by and not treated as less than very serious

and get it tested anyway

and refilling these things gets you a more efficient filter than the stainless ones for longer

371 IMG_7464.JPG

Of course 15mins depending on humidity and stuff does not necessarily need to be adhered to to the minute

Hic!!!@@

Back
Top Bottom