the ecstasy of pack-mate!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
Well girls, I have just finish packing for my annual 8 day pilgrimage to sharm e lsheikh Egypt :jump013: . A couple of weeks ago I brought a product from QVC in the Uk called pack-mate. Basically it's a bag with a one way valve on it. You put your things inside, roll it up, the air comes out and forms a vaccuum, squashing everything flat and eliminating extra weight by the air contained within what ever it is you're packing. Now I only have a 20 kilo weight allowance, my dive gear plus bag weighs 16 kilos so I only have 4 kilos to cram in my clothes ( 9 changes thereof) underwear ( 10 changes thereof!) shoes (3 pairs thereof and thats being VERY strict with myself!), swimwear (2 changes thereof) not to mention my makeup bag, wash bag, etc etc.
Well wonders of wonders I have got ALL my clothes and my wetsuit packed as flat as a pancake, bc, fins bag and shoes in my bag, with tons of room to spare and 1 kilo left over to get all the gifts and goodies in for my family and friends!
So, I must commend this wonderful product to all the unfortunate ladies who have to travel thousands of miles, like I, to get close to any decent diving. If you want more details here's the product with the web details below. I guess GVC in the USA will have them too. Happy packing!

Packmate 7 Piece Travel Roll Bags

Item Number 821711

QVC Price £20.50
Introductory Price £18.64
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?dept=ukHG

Sounds great! I am always looking for a way to pack things. I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Becky

You can find something similar at Wal-Mart called Space Bags. They come in all sizes. When they hit the market a few years ago the only place to buy them was on QVC or infomercial shows.

The really cheap version....I've also use 2 gal. ziplock bags. Each one will hold a full changing of clothes....T-shirt, shorts, underwaer....before closing the bag, roll it up and zip it after the air is squished out. The air eventually seeps back in but not as much as just closing the bag.

BTW....going through customs was much faster since the inspector could see what was in each bag and didn't dig through everything.

They are wonderful! I think I bought my first set of space bags online after watching and infomercial (can't believe I DID that - ugh!) but now they're available at the Bed Bath & Beyond retail stores. I pack my drysuit undies in them, and it really helps save space.

At 1 ATA how much weight do think you saved with the volume reduction, think about it.

spectrum:
At 1 ATA how much weight do think you saved with the volume reduction, think about it.

As the savings obviously comes in terms of volume, I would think one could use a smaller bag in which to fit all their items. A smaller bag/suitcase may weigh less, so in that regard there may be some reduction in weight by perhaps a couple of pounds in using, say, a medium-sized suitcase vs. a jumbo-sized one.
Plus, it's just plain cool to vacuum seal stuff :wink:

lragsac:
Plus, it's just plain cool to vacuum seal stuff :wink:

You know I love to hear that hiss... I'm surprised I haven't fallen for one of those vacuum sealers for leftovers featured on yet another infomercial...

kelpmermaid:
You know I love to hear that hiss... I'm surprised I haven't fallen for one of those vacuum sealers for leftovers featured on yet another infomercial...

For leftovers all you need is a ziplock and a straw. Zip it to the end, draw it down andpull the straw oit as you zip the final bit.

BTW...
This is the statement in the original posting that I tool exception to:
eliminating extra weight by the air contained within what ever it is you're packing.

spectrum:

It's not the weight but the air volume that I like to eliminate.

Dee:
It's not the weight but the air volume that I like to eliminate.

That it will do without a doubt.
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom