The Easiest Dive in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone looking for the World's Easiest Dive, consider diving The Living Seas in Walt Disney World. Located in Epcot, The Living Seas is an aquarium 200 feet by 200ft by 35 feet deep, with viz of 200 feet! The Epcot sphere could not hold all the water in that tank.

The Living Seas dive doesn't require park admission, so anyone in the Orlando area can go without paying park admission, but the dive costs about 120 dollars per person for a 50 minute one tank dive (an extra 20 dollars for a video of the experience). The money all goes to a wildlife conservation fund, not Disney.

All you are allowed to bring is a watch, a swimsuit and a precription dive mask. They use scubapro classic bcs.

Divemasters meet you outside the park and size you up for a shorty wet suit, boots and weighting, take your C cards and lead you on a tour of the aquarium. You watch a short video, then go to a locker room where your wet suit is laid out with your name on it. You change, and then (gag) they parade you through the throngs of people in the exhibit with the announcement "here are today's divers" to a round of applause--- the aquarium is lined with windows for the paying customers to watch the fish and divers. The divers are a big deal to the spectators, particularly the children, and it's a blast to be part of the show.

Once at the top of the aquarium, the group (about 12 divers each session) sits in the water on a bench and divemasters put on your bcs, all very relaxed and typical Disney perfect, and everyone floats to the center and submerges. The divemaster takes everyone as a group on a quick tour of the aquarium and then turns you loose. Although they like you to buddy up, they aren't strict about it, since they have divemasters stationed around the tank and viz is perfect. Moreover, no one has an extra regulator to give a buddy anyway (your spare air is over your head, says the divemaster).

The tank is filled with fish, rays, a big turtle and many large (very) sharks which are fed daily and said to pose no threat, although one of the divemasters carries a large prod, which I guess to to ward the sharks away. Family members can congregate at the windows and its fun to interact with the crowd.

The dive is as easy as it gets (ocean-like conditions without seasickness or the hassle of a shore entry), massive visibility, great marine life and a chance to show non-diving family members what you do and why you love it so much.

I've gone multiple times, with divers ranging from newly certified to master instructors and no one has had anything bad to say about the experience. If anyone is going to Walt Disney World, check it out but book early. They only take 24 divers a day and slots fill quickly, although I think a large group can charter an extra slot after the main two sessions have finished. It's expensive as far as one-tank dive go, but hey, if you are at Disney you are prepared to hemorrhage cash anyway. It beats It's a Small World for the umpteenth time...

shakeybrainsurgeon:
It beats It's a Small World for the umpteenth time...

Thanks for the report, I hope to do that someday.

Interesting about the alternate air sources.

I wish you had picked on something besides "It's a Small World", that's a favorite of mine. :)

Pete

It is my mother's favorite and I have ridden it so many times... oh no, that song is in my head!

Now the big question that ties in the perpetual thread here..... Did you log the Living Seas dive?

Yes. You don't have to bring the log book, they give you a Disney sticker that the divemaster signs and they put the data (depth/temp/bottom time) for the divers on a chalkboard in the locker room. They humorously note: seas had 1 inch swells. They also give you a certificate and a t-shirt.

My only complaint is you don't know the weight. the first time I did the dive, i felt overweighted as did everyone else (they don't have time to do buoyancy checks, so I think they err on the heavy side so everyone will sink quickly). The second time I was underweighted and had to have two pounds clipped to my bc.

Watching the divers from the windows, buoyancy issues are common. Curiously, they don't bother to ask divers if they know their weight requirements for a salt water dive with a 3 mil shorty, they just guess...

That sounds AWESOME! I will definitely do this sometime!

It was alot of fun! I did it 4th of July weekend. It was the first time my fiance, her mom, sister, borther and two nephews got to see me underwater. I got the video and it's neat seeing me with them watching in the bcakground. They were also able to take some stills including one where I took my mask off for them. They do overweight you though. It was also one of those cases where they size you up but when I got my bc it was a small and I wear a medium. Just had to leave the sternum strap unbuckled. It is a blast going by the restaurant and seeing the kids react to you watching them. I did a thing where I swam up horizontal and then did a full turn like a clock hand to change direction. I swear one kid about 5 was going to stand on his head to follow my little stunt! Even some of the adults got excited when we went past and waved at them. Best of all since, as "shakey" said, all funds go to the conservation fund so it's tax deductible! You can also get a AAA discount or there are coupons in the PADI diving society member handbook if you belong to that. The bubble is also neat where you stick you're head up into a clear dome, remove mask and reg and say HI for the camera. Will I do it again? If I'm in the area yes. But I usually fly into lauderdale to drive to the keys so Orlando is a haul. But my fiance's brother has a timeshare 15 minutes from the gate so if we go to visit him again it will be on the list of things to do.

Sounds interesting. I hope to do it one day.

I have been to EPCOT and seen the Living Seas. So much sea life in one place. Its unreal!

TOM

That sounds like a blast.......How fun.... I will have to try that......I'm going to be in Florida in December but not enough time.... But maybe next year before leaving on my next cruise is April...... Thanks for sharing... I'd never heard of it before......:D

shakeybrainsurgeon:
..snip..
with viz of 200 feet!
..snip..

AFAIK the theoretical limit for vis in pure water due to molecular scattering is below 50m which is a lot less than 200ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom