The Difference Between LP and HP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like DGX is putting in 5250psi burst discs on all of their valves, I know I have seen a lot of the older discs which are 2400psi work, 4000blow, or 3500work 4500blow, they were older valves, early 2000's at the latest, and I checked most of mine last time I rebuilt them and they were all 5250blow, which is perfectly fine and in that case if the lp tanks are still getting 5250burst discs, or even 4500 burst discs, I retract the statement of them being swapped for higher working pressures.
That said, my lp72's have the 2400/4000 burst discs in them and will continue to have those in there.

I dont know where you are but i would suspect that we have little if no need for an actual 300 bar fill whip as 232b is aboaut as high as most tanks get filled.

The difference lies in which side of the pond you're living. 300 bar tanks are quite common in (Northern) Europe.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

for example, provides DoT recommendations for all 3AA, 3A, and 3AL cylinders,.

This reminded me of cylinder markings. Is there a way to definitively identify a cylinder in the US from the markings. In particular what the internal volume is? Here we have that explicitly stamped on the shoulder, there I have to trust the claims of the op.

Regarding valve, the story I received from Sherwood some years ago goes like this. While with yoke it never mattered, since they are all rated at or below 232 bar, Europe was creating 300 bar gear and 300 bar regulators.

Except for the Sherwood 4000 regulator which was built in the early '70's and designed for 4000# service pressure. Surprised they didn't mention it. I would use the reg more often but it will not fit on convertable or other large modern valves.

Bob
--------------------
Likes Sherwoods

Except for the Sherwood 4000 regulator which was built in the early '70's and designed for 4000# service pressure. Surprised they didn't mention it. I would use the reg more often but it will not fit on convertable or other large modern valves.

He did mention that they used to make them in the US, but only in Europe now. It would be so much easier if we could get rid of DOT and CGA, then work on some kind of worldwide standard,but you and I can guess at that likelihood!!!

Max Speed, there are also publicly available documents on how to produce a fertilizer bomb. While most can read it and then discern whether or not it is something they should do, there are those that do not have that ability. More importantly, history has shown that people who earn to learn tend to have a lot more success than those that are spoon fed.

He did mention that they used to make them in the US, but only in Europe now. It would be so much easier if we could get rid of DOT and CGA, then work on some kind of worldwide standard,but you and I can guess at that likelihood!!!

As far as I know it was the only yoke reg made for that high a service pressure. I believe the yoke regs from the '90's, possibly earlier, are made for 300 Bar, if a DIN connection is used rather than the yoke.

Even if one had a worldwide standard, the differences would continue for decades because of the length of time SCUBA equipment can last. I still use an old steel 72 with 1/2" pipe threads and a post valve from 1962.

Bob

Last edited:
GUE suggests disabled burst discs before you are qualified to dive with
them. https://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/equipment/config

Might want to read that again. They suggest doubling them in order to avoid and accidental failure. You will find that they still can burst. If I remember properly, this method was adopted in keeping with the actual law. It only says you need an appropriate disk, it says nothing about how many.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom