The Cozumel Back Roll - How it is done:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you should always use one hand to hold mask against your face and reg in your mouth!

Robin.. were you still there on the last trip while waiting for the boats to come the two guys telling stories..

1. The one guy couldn't figure out why his BC was so tight after he backrolled in only to figure out he forgot that he had taken his wet suit of his shoulders and tied the loose arms around his waist and forgot to put it back on.

2. The other guy had a problem seeing after he backrolled in only to realize that he was still wearing his sunglasses instead of his mask.

I think they might have been tipping the bottle a bit much the night before..:D

I am surprised that no one has discussed the main reason why divers do backrolls in the first place.

It's because if they did forward rolls they would still be on the boat and wouldn't get to dive.

You know when I *tried* to do something with my leg, I dragged it on the boat. Now when I roll, I don't move my legs at all and hit the water still in the sitting position, though back first. You all make me think I am doing something wrong by NOT doing something with my legs....

I do the back roll holding my mask. If you have two free hands, I think it is best to put one hand on face mask glass and the other on the back of the head holding the mask strap secure. I have seen many entries where the head splash pops the mask strap off the head and the mask is lost. and oh yeah... I swim down after hitting the water, if the boat operator doesn't have an issue with it.

[video=youtube_share;1g4Cf-7-rHQ]http://youtu.be/1g4Cf-7-rHQ[/video]

CVChief:

Whatever works for you. I think the issue is that when you backroll off the boat edge, one of 2 things can happen:

1.) You roll back vigorously enough that your calves & feet pass over the boat rim (that you sat on) before you drop far enough to strike the backs of your calves on that edge (which is painful), or...

2.) You don't. Extending your legs so your feet stick straight out as you backroll reduces the opportunity for the backs of your legs to strike the top of the boat edge.

One dive the backs of my calves got whacked pretty hard, and it took me awhile to figure out what had happened. Rather strange experience. It sounds like it'd be obvious, but at the time, I just knew my legs hurt & couldn't figure out why for awhile.

Richard.

You know when I *tried* to do something with my leg, I dragged it on the boat. Now when I roll, I don't move my legs at all and hit the water still in the sitting position, though back first. You all make me think I am doing something wrong by NOT doing something with my legs....
If you aren't whacking your legs you aren't doing anything wrong, but what can happen is instead of pivoting on your butt and going right over, you put your butt over the edge and then slide backwards. With all the extra weight, you move pretty fast and if you don't kick your legs out they will catch on the gunwale right below your knees. It really hurts.

Most folks only do it once. :D

---------- Post Merged at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Robin.. were you still there on the last trip while waiting for the boats to come the two guys telling stories..

1. The one guy couldn't figure out why his BC was so tight after he backrolled in only to figure out he forgot that he had taken his wet suit of his shoulders and tied the loose arms around his waist and forgot to put it back on.

2. The other guy had a problem seeing after he backrolled in only to realize that he was still wearing his sunglasses instead of his mask.

I think they might have been tipping the bottle a bit much the night before..:D
Let's see, what stupid stuff have I done...

After rolling in one time I put in my snorkel so I could look down at the reef and not use up my air waiting for the rest of the group to get in the water. When the time came to go down... <cough><choke><sputter>

Other than that, the usual. Forgetting to put on my fins, leaving my weight belt on the boat, that sort of thing.. :D

Yea, I still don't get it. When I sit on the edge of the boat, my knees are relatively close to my chest. I maintain that position and fall backwards without a problem. The one time I tried to 'push off' and extend my legs, I dragged them.

Maybe when you say kick, it is the same thing as keep your knees the same relative distance from your chest during the roll? Or maybe I am top heavy enough that those legs just FLY in the air? I dunno.... I would have someone video tape me doing it, but I think I have more self esteem issues than Brules.....

Yea, I still don't get it. When I sit on the edge of the boat, my knees are relatively close to my chest. I maintain that position and fall backwards without a problem. The one time I tried to 'push off' and extend my legs, I dragged them.

Maybe when you say kick, it is the same thing as keep your knees the same relative distance from your chest during the roll? Or maybe I am top heavy enough that those legs just FLY in the air? I dunno.... I would have someone video tape me doing it, but I think I have more self esteem issues than Brules.....

I think you have it. If the distance between your knees and chest remains (roughly) constant during the back roll, you are doing it correctly. If the distance increases (i.e. your upper body is moving back while your legs remain stationary), then you are very likely to drag your legs on the boat trim, and it can hurt.

I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to learn that one the hard way. On my first boat trip, I watched the person before me do it, and let out a big yell. Now, whenever I am doing a back roll entry, I have that image in my head :)

El Jefe maybe, just maybe the luxurious Maximus rides up a little higher out of the water and we don't have that problem. I trust you will measure the distance from the water to the gunwale on the Maximus and compare it to others next month while "off gassing" at Playa Palancar.

Back
Top Bottom