The Cozumel Back Roll - How it is done:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree with this if you didn't have to get your camera rig handed to you from boat crew. I personally don't put any air in my BC prior to entry because I wear a ton of neoprene which keeps me pretty positive initially, but that could vary depending on what you wear for exposure protection. We definitely don't wait to all meet on the surface. We all signal to the DM the second we are ready to descend and then meet up at a previously agreed upon depth.

Cozumel is typically negative entry because of the current. If divers try to meet up on the surface before descending, they would be too spread out by the time everyone was in the water. So, it is easier for everyone to do a negative entry and meet up on the bottom (where there is much less current).

Without current or when a tail line is available, typically everyone will wait on the surface until all divers are in the water and descend together.

In any case, it should all be contained in the briefing.

Cozumel is typically negative entry because of the current. If divers try to meet up on the surface before descending, they would be too spread out by the time everyone was in the water. So, it is easier for everyone to do a negative entry and meet up on the bottom (where there is much less current).

In any case, it should all be contained in the briefing.

All my Coz dives with a few different ops have grouped on surface before descending, if only briefly in current, after leaving the boat on the Captain's order. And yes, a good briefing covers it.
Going again soon, and reading this thread, I can hear Pedro in my head, "OK, let's go down!" :)
I so can't wait to hear him again!

All my Coz dives with a few different ops have grouped on surface before descending, if only briefly in current, after leaving the boat on the Captain's order. And yes, a good briefing covers it.
Going again soon, and reading this thread, I can hear Pedro in my head, "OK, let's go down!" :)
I so can't wait to hear him again!

I agree..."OK, let's go down" ... I get to hear that in 23 days...:daydreaming: Pedro is awesome !

I agree with everyone that corrected me. All Cozumel dives are not necessarily negative and whatever the entry/descent plan, it should be covered in the briefing.

When we were there in April my wife asked to roll-in and the crew agreed to let her from a smaller side-entry door. She likes a roll-in much better than giant-stride. I still prefer the giant-stride and exit the boat from the same side-entry door without difficulty.

Kinda-likin' this hyphenatin', but I had to go back a few times. That must make me a procrastinatin'-hyphenater.:D. It sounded better in my head okay.

Cool video, I liked the part where you could see all the other divers up above you.

Now if you really want to impress me, next time do a belly flop entry!!!

Wait til I edit up some more videos... I got a few front flip entries (if going off the back of a boat, I now actually prefer the front flip over the giant stride!) and yes, ONE BELLY FLOP into the cenote!!!!

I watched the video again and the perspective from the camera on the end of the pole, and am probably being too nit picky, and you do take a quick look, but always good to take a good look at what is behind you before doing the back roll, so that 40 pounds of metal along with the diver doesn't land on another divers head. Sure it should be the other divers responsibility to get out of the way while divers are entering the water, but maybe they are head back to the boat to get their dive camera or spear or maybe have some sort of problem Also a good idea to give a tap on the head, I'm okay sign if all is well once your in the water. Please take my suggestions as constructive criticism only and maybe someone else in the thread has made the point. I'm jealous that your diving in the nice tropical warm water.

I watched the video again and the perspective from the camera on the end of the pole, and am probably being too nit picky, and you do take a quick look, but always good to take a good look at what is behind you before doing the back roll, so that 40 pounds of metal along with the diver doesn't land on another divers head. Sure it should be the other divers responsibility to get out of the way while divers are entering the water, but maybe they are head back to the boat to get their dive camera or spear or maybe have some sort of problem Also a good idea to give a tap on the head, I'm okay sign if all is well once your in the water. Please take my suggestions as constructive criticism only and maybe someone else in the thread has made the point. I'm jealous that your diving in the nice tropical warm water.

I was first in - boat capt gave me the go signal, so quick glance was just to make sure. :) If I am not 1st in I always look better.

Also, I would give an ok signal, but to who lol.......since I was first in, the capt was getting the other 5 in the water, so he was looking at them - the DM was gearing up and getting in himself. So no one to signal lol

As to the inflate or not to inflate discussion - I always inflate a little, no matter if it is drop to the bottom or wait on surface. Personally I think it is safer to get in, pop to the surface and be able to stay there IF I had an issue. If I am not inflated, and I do have an issue, it would be all that much harder to get to the surface I think. As you can see I can dive down like a fish, so I am not too worried about getting seperated as I usually bob up and almost immediately go down.

After being on a boat once with a guy who jumped in with a tank that was turned off - I started always doing lots of checks - but also always going in inflated. Just seems safer to me. :)

That's a BS belly flop, on a cruise ship belly flop contest he'd get boo'd! I want to see a full on arms outstretched break the glass of your mask belly flop.

As to the inflate or not to inflate discussion - I always inflate a little, no matter if it is drop to the bottom or wait on surface. Personally I think it is safer to get in, pop to the surface and be able to stay there IF I had an issue. If I am not inflated, and I do have an issue, it would be all that much harder to get to the surface I think. As you can see I can dive down like a fish, so I am not too worried about getting seperated as I usually bob up and almost immediately go down.

After being on a boat once with a guy who jumped in with a tank that was turned off - I started always doing lots of checks - but also always going in inflated. Just seems safer to me.

Agree with ya. I like the extra safety factor of being bouyant on entry, check with my buddy to see she is okay and ready to descend as a buddy team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom