The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definitely no expert, but this bridge addiction sure has me doing a *lot* of "looking up". I'm also addicted to Google. :D

Did two dives there today - nearly six hours - and found *several* new creatures to add to my list. BTW, *thanks* for giving me directions to the "mouth eggs" jawfish. They put me right on top of him. Sadly (for me), but happily for those eggs with the already-seeing eyes, he ain't got 'em in his mouth no more. I got the pitchers to prove it. :D I even stole the idea of trying to diopter them to death, to no avail. A +4 dry, and a "Woody's" "wet" only served to limit what I could shoot on my second dive. :D

I did get several shrimp photos today. Can't even remember, at this point, how many different ones I saw. All those "holes" that I'm used to swimming over and rarely finding anything protruding from them seemed to treat me somewhat differently today. I *swear* I'll get around to posting them sometime. BTW, if anyone cares, I *have* posted a bunch more shots from recent bridge trips on my Flickr site: mentalblock_DMD's photosets on Flickr

Oh, just remembered, speaking of "diopters" found *this* in the swim-through today:View attachment 96259

Kevin
Savannah
The last picture is very disturbing, and also leads to a large number of questions... It could be its own thread...

Did you pick it up after taking the picture? If not, why not?

This last picture is a internal macro... One designed to be inside a camera housing and attached directly to the lens. It would be amazing to find someone who has adapted it to external use!

The last picture is very disturbing, and also leads to a large number of questions... It could be its own thread...

Did you pick it up after taking the picture? If not, why not?

This last picture is a internal macro... One designed to be inside a camera housing and attached directly to the lens. It would be amazing to find someone who has adapted it to external use!

and from D2: Glad you had a great dive. I assume you also dove slack low? How was viz?

I pondered the same questions. It's sitting here on the bedside table at the Travelodge, and last night was listed on the "Lost and Found" page here on the board de scuba.

My guess is that the photographer had been out shooting insects, forgot to take the diopter/macro lens off until he was loading his camera into his housing, was too lazy to take it back to his car and stuck it into a BC pocket - where he wasn't as lucky as I - it stayed in mine. :D

The viz on the morning "slack" dive varied from not terrible to terrible. I entered way over east where the guard , whom I greeted upon his arrival at work, said it was OK to enter through his beach area, but only if I didn't use any compressed air during my pass through.

As soon as the tide started in, it became clear that I could quickly be sucked under the east span if I didn't start heading back west. Interestingly, it was precisely opposite the lifeguard stand where the current sort of changed direction (there was also some varialbe "north/south" fluctuation in it) and it wasn't long before I was on a pretty good ride westwardly. Was just taking a look at some of the pics from the dive, and it looks like the particulates were actually significantly worse than what I had thought, and unless I was right on top of a subject, they pretty well ruined the shots - with a couple of possibly pleasant exceptions. Don't think I'll bother with it today. Ended up around the grocery carts and kind of enjoyed just observing all the activity for a change, particulates and poor viz and all.

Kevin

I'm definitely no expert, but this bridge addiction sure has me doing a *lot* of "looking up". I'm also addicted to Google. :D

Did two dives there today - nearly six hours - and found *several* new creatures to add to my list. BTW, *thanks* for giving me directions to the "mouth eggs" jawfish. They put me right on top of him. Sadly (for me), but happily for those eggs with the already-seeing eyes, he ain't got 'em in his mouth no more. I got the pitchers to prove it. :D I even stole the idea of trying to diopter them to death, to no avail. A +4 dry, and a "Woody's" "wet" only served to limit what I could shoot on my second dive. :D

I did get several shrimp photos today. Can't even remember, at this point, how many different ones I saw. All those "holes" that I'm used to swimming over and rarely finding anything protruding from them seemed to treat me somewhat differently today. I *swear* I'll get around to posting them sometime. BTW, if anyone cares, I *have* posted a bunch more shots from recent bridge trips on my Flickr site: mentalblock_DMD's photosets on Flickr

Oh, just remembered, speaking of "diopters" found *this* in the swim-through today:View attachment 96259

Kevin
Savannah

Sandra just told me that Ann Dupont lost a diopter recently..this may be hers....

Sandra just told me that Ann Dupont lost a diopter recently..this may be hers....

Well, it ain't like I'm holding it hostage. :D You all know where to (virtually) find me.

On my way over to check out the Rick Macci Academy and maybe meet up with an old friend, prior to making the afternoon tide at the bridge.

Kevin

Okay, I don't see the map, presumably because it's been removed, but how does one go about getting a hard copy of the map when time to dive? I'll be there Monday evening diving for the first time and may or may not be with people who've been there before (no definitive yes responses from them yet).

I pondered the same questions. It's sitting here on the bedside table at the Travelodge, and last night was listed on the "Lost and Found" page here on the board de scuba.

My guess is that the photographer had been out shooting insects, forgot to take the diopter/macro lens off until he was loading his camera into his housing, was too lazy to take it back to his car and stuck it into a BC pocket - where he wasn't as lucky as I - it stayed in mine. :D

The viz on the morning "slack" dive varied from not terrible to terrible. I entered way over east where the guard , whom I greeted upon his arrival at work, said it was OK to enter through his beach area, but only if I didn't use any compressed air during my pass through.

As soon as the tide started in, it became clear that I could quickly be sucked under the east span if I didn't start heading back west. Interestingly, it was precisely opposite the lifeguard stand where the current sort of changed direction (there was also some varialbe "north/south" fluctuation in it) and it wasn't long before I was on a pretty good ride westwardly. Was just taking a look at some of the pics from the dive, and it looks like the particulates were actually significantly worse than what I had thought, and unless I was right on top of a subject, they pretty well ruined the shots - with a couple of possibly pleasant exceptions. Don't think I'll bother with it today. Ended up around the grocery carts and kind of enjoyed just observing all the activity for a change, particulates and poor viz and all.

Kevin

Well, if you have to leave town before it's found, I suggest ForceE as a holding facility... Or, keeping it as a souvenir (a single diopter is not too expensive in the scheme of things)

Okay, I don't see the map, presumably because it's been removed, but how does one go about getting a hard copy of the map when time to dive? I'll be there Monday evening diving for the first time and may or may not be with people who've been there before (no definitive yes responses from them yet).
Do you really think you could follow a top side map under water?

Do you really think you could follow a top side map under water?

I assumed the map was a sort of "high level" here's the bridge, here's a trench, here's a wreck sort of map like you'd find at a quarry. Something more of a "orientation reference" than a map to read while diving.

Could I follow a top-side map underwater, would really depend on how much time I had to look at the map before going down, I guess. If I can memorize a few key pieces of information such as rough shape of land mass and bridge location, then yes, it would be incredibly helpful for me, even if I didn't have it under water.

Today at da bridge--80F and 15 ft/maybe 20 viz. The rubble pile seemed even more like a reef with a nice sized hogfish and 2 largish bar jacks running the tropicals around like sheepdogs.

Mermaid

I assumed the map was a sort of "high level" here's the bridge, here's a trench, here's a wreck sort of map like you'd find at a quarry. Something more of a "orientation reference" than a map to read while diving.

Could I follow a top-side map underwater, would really depend on how much time I had to look at the map before going down, I guess. If I can memorize a few key pieces of information such as rough shape of land mass and bridge location, then yes, it would be incredibly helpful for me, even if I didn't have it under water.

I missed the map, too, but I think you probably have a different kind of map in mind - the kind that the aforementioned Force E dive shop (where it looks like I'll be dropping off the *also* aforementioned diopter, unless I hear otherwise, prior to my departure for points north come Saturday morn) has a nice pile of the type map you have in mind at their check-out counter, and is happy to hand out to divers.

One of the fellows on hand there this afternoon was my *second* contact of the day with persons aboard the "Deep Obsessions'" afternoon dive. Who knew how much they can see below the surface in the shallows of the bridge area. . . :D

At the end of my afternoon dive yesterday, I decided to just let the current float me back to my exit point, much as I have done in the past after completing the dive in the "wall" or "swim-through" area at the channel under the bridge.

This time, rather than doing a little "northward" kicking so as to keep the possibility of sighting something interesting near the pilings on the way back, I decided to just allow the current to drag me back east with a more "southerly" slope. Turns out that it was almost *totally* southerly, with almost *no* easterly component - no, I wasn't monitoring my compass at the time. This caused me to run into a most unique spot that, while sorely tempted, I won't describe. :D

Anyway, I was far enough from my exit point (relative to my primary air supply) that I elected to *not* photographically document my surprising find. (It was *not* the upside-down wreck which I *thought* the current might run me by - which I have still not run across). I *was*, however, motivated to see if I might find a way to sneak my way over there again, today.

Whilst I did manage to, again, find the spot and start "documenting it" - in spite of all the boat motors that I kept hearing nearby - I was interrupted by my *first* contact with a member of the aforementioned dive boat.

I can't say that I was all that disappointed that it wasn't with my old friend and boat captain, Shaun, but rather with a most beautiful mermaid, who beckoned me to the not-too-distant surface.

I hereby thank her for saving me from my waywardness and for *not* being a particularly well-dressed cop. :D I promise to never, ever go there, again. :wink:

The attached photo, I hereby cite, was *not* my most unusual sighting at this site.

IMG_3598wa.jpg

I'm still pondering whether it was more likely that it was the mommy or the daddy who was a triggerfish. . . (gave up on trying to interject the subjunctive here)

Try as I might, I was unable to loan Jim the use of my camera rig today. :D

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom