The Comal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you dive in the Comal? How deep is it? What's the vis?

I've been in the San Marcos River....but not the Comal......

Where do you dive in the Comal? How deep is it? What's the vis?

I've been in the San Marcos River....but not the Comal......

Last summer I did a night dive in the Comal between Garden Street and Union Street. Temp was 73 degrees, max depth was 15 feet. There's a current that will sweep you along but if you want to linger, go to either bank--current's not as strong there--and check out the wildlife.

Cruiser hit it. Temp is pretty stable, the vis is very acceptable (10-20, depending), and it's effectively a "drift dive". Just relax and steer. We went in the early summer, so there were tubers everywhere, but that just made it more fun. Every once and a while, we'd pop up and surprise a few folks, strike up a conversation, etc--remember the average depth is under ten feet. We also found quite a few pairs of sunglasses, some money (a few bills, in fact), a set of car keys (didn't find the owner), and a bikini top (couldn't find the owner of that, either). In short, it's a good lazy dive that I consider worth doing once in a while.

Yeah, I've found a few dollars down there, a ring, lots of glasses, and more beer cans than i could ever bag up. But right now, I just need to get wet, and wet and 70 sounds a lot better than wet and 54 (degrees).

This post may help, Sign In

Back
Top Bottom