The Comal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you dive in the Comal? How deep is it? What's the vis?

I've been in the San Marcos River....but not the Comal......

If you don't want to do the whole two vehicle shuttle to dive the whole Comal, I usually just go right to Hinmann Island park (above the tube chute) and dive from the first set of stairs to the third set of stairs and then get out and walk back up and do it again. You can get about 4 passes out of one tank, depending on how slow/fast you go. don't forget to over weight, so if you want to stop and look at something you can dump air and stay on the bottom. Average depth in that area is 8-10 feet and the visibility is generally 10+. A lot like the San Marcos but no wild rice to fight with.

Directions: Easiest way to get there IH-35 to New Braunfels, Exit 187 Seguin Ave, go west on Seguin Ave to the Square of town, take the first right off the traffic circle going around the Square onto San Antonio Street. Cross the river and take the first left onto Liberty Ave. Take the first left that Y's off (past the entrance to Prince Solms Park) onto Hinman Island Dr. There is parking on the left side of the road and ramps and stairs down to the river.

Compared to the San Marcos, it is a much more sanitized river and just a bit warmer. Currents and depth have a lot less variance and not as weedy as the more overgrown sections of the SM. It also does not seem to offer the number of treasures ($$$, old bottles, sun glasses, etc) that the SM hides. But take a collection bag and fill it with trash (mostly beer cans) if you can. I did pick up a nice folding dive knife in the Comal last weekend. If the owner can ID it, I'll be happy to return it.

I've done the Hinman Park stretch, but I've not been able to figure out the specifics of doing the larger sections with the two car shuttle arrangement. Could someone (Jay?) post specific parking/entry/exit details to do the larger stretch of the river?

Cruiser hit it. Temp is pretty stable, the vis is very acceptable (10-20, depending), and it's effectively a "drift dive". Just relax and steer. We went in the early summer, so there were tubers everywhere, but that just made it more fun. Every once and a while, we'd pop up and surprise a few folks, strike up a conversation, etc--remember the average depth is under ten feet. We also found quite a few pairs of sunglasses, some money (a few bills, in fact), a set of car keys (didn't find the owner), and a bikini top (couldn't find the owner of that, either). In short, it's a good lazy dive that I consider worth doing once in a while.

Treasure hunting :D Did Donna make it down there last weekend?

Regards,

Shawn O.

I've done the Hinman Park stretch, but I've not been able to figure out the specifics of doing the larger sections with the two car shuttle arrangement. Could someone (Jay?) post specific parking/entry/exit details to do the larger stretch of the river?

You can park one vehicle at Hinman Island park (above the Tube Chute) or at Prince Solms park (Below the Tube Chute). [SIDE NOTE: During the Summer Weekends the City usually blocks off the parking spaces at Hinman Is. so they can get you to pay the $5.00 to park at Prince Solms.] For the other vehicle go back out to E. San Antonio Street turn left go to S Union Ave and turn right. S Union T's off into Lincoln street and directly ahead of that intersection you will see the Last Public Exit for the Comal, [on that corner the tube outfitters have awnings set up for their shuttles] turn right on W Lincoln St and there will be an apartment complex about 80 yds from the corner on the Left (Schlitterbahn is on the right) Flip a U-turn and park on the apartment complex side of the street, make sure you are outside the no parking signs or you'll have a long walk back to Hinman Island with full gear. When I did this we walked up the stairs from the Public Exit, we shed our gear ,one of us stayed with the stuff and the other got the vehicle we parked down Lincoln, pulled up and we tossed our gear in and took off back to Hinman to break down and pack up. Hope this helps!!

I have heard of people doing the Chute by fully inflating their BC and going for a ride but I choose to get out at the stairs above the chute, walk over the bridge/dam and get back in below the chute.

Yeah, I've never had a problem parking in the Schlitterbahn parking lot. I've even talked to the security guards to make sure it was fine, and they didn't have a single problem with it. Granted, I don't know if the gates will be open this time of year.

It's got a metal sharpish knife on it, which folds into the main part for safe keeping.

Nope. With this one the handle folds over the blade rather than the blade folding into the handle.

Back
Top Bottom