The Cheap or the Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the self study approach. It's also touched upon in many advanced level classes such as deep diver and self reliant / solo diver (along with gas planning topics).

I had been solo diving for some time when I finally got around to taking the class. The class covered topics such as manifolded doubles, independent doubles, single with an H valve, back mounted pony, side slung pony, spare air and so on..... We went through it pretty quick since it was obvious I already understood all of these options and had made my choice. We also did at depth deployment exercises followed by blowing a bag and other skills while maintaining neutral buoyancy. It was mostly a checkout dive though since I'd already did those things on my own.

Knowing how to use a stage set up would be something I would have to learn. My approach would be to research any possible safety risks associated with using a stage and try it. Keeping in mind it is there as a back up for an ascent not a tool to use for taking on more risk or diving deeper.

If anyone knows any possible issues such entanglement, forgetting to turn it on, or non-obvious hazards for a staged pony please list them.

First line of defense, dive and maintain gear so an OOA situation never happens.

If you are serious about air redundance, that you can learn on your own if you are already a competent diver, lots of good info on SB.

If you truly want self reliance, take a course or find a mentor.

For alternate air source, my choice is a small slung pony. I find the al 80's just too much overkill for most recreational divers but it is obviously doable if cost is a limiting factor. Finding room on a crowded boat may be an issue. For me it is worth a little extra cost for the ease of use and the piece of mind of using my own gear. Either way, you can sling the bottle very easily with the DIR method chrpai posted or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9WmSyPO1d4E

I did a modification of the DIR (sacreligious I know) but later saw the dive gear express video and may switch.

Last edited:
Hey there masterproscuba,
I tend to use a 19 cuft pony when I dive as my secondary air for exactly the reasons you state. I have also used slung al80 s too. You can forget to turn them on, however, as I dive cold water I typically leave the valve closed and deploy the reg from a bungee around the tank. the reg goes a round my neck from left to right at the same time my left hand opens the valve. By this time the reg is in my mouth, valve is open and I can breathe. Entanglement can be a concern as you have extra areas which can become caught. Stay a little further away from entanglement hazards. With an AL80 on my left I run 3 extra pounds on my belt.
FWIW I run a BP/w hogarthian setup which makes for ease of use of extra equipment that may be added to the rig for the purpose of the dive. Good luck and with practice it comes easy.
If you have the opportunity, fine tune your setup in the pool prior to deployment in the real world.

Good luck.

I am new to this board and was looking for a way to get some opinions from other divers about a possible solution to a scuba equipment problem. I am interested in mitigating the risk of out-of-air emergency at a low cost without sacrificing the true effectiveness and reliability of the air supply.

The cheapest way is to keep your skills sharp and practice with your buddy.

• You won't run out of air because you're paying attention to your SPG/computer
  • If you do run out, you can share air with your buddy.
  • If you run out of air and lose your buddy, you can still do an emergency out of air ascent. It's reasonably safe when done properly.

If you want a redundant air source at the least possible cost, you can purchase a 19 CuFt cylinder for $50 - ~$120 (used/new) and a used regulator for about another $50-$100, however this isn't actually cheap because in the long run because the tank requires VIP every year and hydro every 5 and the regulator will probably require a rebuild before it's OK to use.

The spare air has the same limitations (and more). It's still a tank that needs inspections and a reg that needs service.

There's still no free lunch. You can solve this problem with training or equipment. One takes effort and the other takes money.

flots

Last edited:
As far as hose lengths and SPG goes, how long should the pony regulator be? 24",30"? Also, should you just check the psi before the dive or should you mount a SPG on a short hose? Does this add to another entanglement hazard and offer the risk of confusing hoses?

I use a 40" LP hose and a 6" HP hose. If the bottle really is only for bailout then you could consider the 6" hose with 2" SPG to be overkill and just use a "button" SPG.

Thanks, I assume that when using stage or deco bottles the 6" hose becomes less overkill. As far as entanglement and confusion goes, is the 6" hose riskier then the button gauge? Or is it just practice and muscle memory that gets this out of the way?

Back
Top Bottom