The Cheap or the Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as hose lengths and SPG goes, how long should the pony regulator be? 24",30"? Also, should you just check the psi before the dive or should you mount a SPG on a short hose? Does this add to another entanglement hazard and offer the risk of confusing hoses?

Length of hose will depend on how you plan to route/secure the regulator. I sling on the left and use a 28 inch hose secured with bungee to the tank then have the regulator hooked to first stage for easy deployment. I practice this setup until changing over is routine. There is no way for me to confuse hoses. I am considering a slightly longer hose in the future because I do feel some tension on the hose when using. As for the SPG, I use the button gauge and have it mounted so that I can view it while diving but keep in mind it is very small and may be difficult for some to see. This is the one I use.
Mini-SPG, {1 in | 2.5 cm} Face. Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

If it is strictly back up only, some divers simply confirm pressure before the dive and do not use a SPG on the pony while diving. I considered ths option but personally did not feel comfortable with this so compromised with the button gauge.

Thanks, I assume that when using stage or deco bottles the 6" hose becomes less overkill. As far as entanglement and confusion goes, is the 6" hose riskier then the button gauge? Or is it just practice and muscle memory that gets this out of the way?

I do not dive where entanglement is typically an issue but I keep all my gear secured but removable and dive with a knife. I can not imagine a situation where the 6 inch hose should be an issue with a competent diver.

BTW, if you dive with BCD rather than BP/W, make sure you have the attachment points to sling a pony. If not, you should be able to add this to most BCDs.

I find a 40" hose lays on a 40/80 nicely. I'm also able to deploy it around left, behind my neck, right side, front so that if I let it go it just hangs right there in front f my face.

"spare-air" since it is designed for sport divers and does not require extensive training.

Nope. Designed for escape from ditched/submerged helicopters. Just peddled to divers on a very false premise.

Training/practice requirement is no more or less than any other redundant air source. Claims otherwise are more false premises from the manufacturers.

The issue with this is that owning a [-]"spare-air" or[/-] "pony scuba cylinder" will incur additional equipment and maintenance costs for something that will rarely be used.

Kinda like an insurance policy :wink:

I do not dive enough to justify owning a scuba cylinders but in some instances I have dived in situations where a redundant air supply would be helpful. This situation has arisen when diving with new dive buddies whom I met through dive charters or dive shops. Any time you meet new people there is a level of uncertainty as to their true dependability in emergency situations.

If the "emergency" is you going out of air... I think the first consideration needs to be more inwardly focused :wink:

Having a redundant air supply would give an additional path to an emergency ascent or sharing of air at depth. The solution to this problem in my mind would simply be to buy a stage rigging system used for Tech side mount rigging and rent an extra scuba cylinder and regulator set and strap it to my belly after I jump in. I believe that a stage rigged cylinder would be the most versatile choice since the only needed equipment to actually purchase would some miscellaneous accessories. This would give me a reliable bailout if both primary air supply and dive buddy failed as opposed to a cold, fatal surprise. Divers any thoughts or experiences with this idea?

If you're talking about rigging up an equal sized cylinder to your primary (i.e. carrying two full sized cylinders) then you'd be well advised to investigate sidemount diving options. This would be a far more efficient method than back-mount/slung with two large tanks..

---------- Post added July 1st, 2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

Just wondering, do you need to take a course to use pony bottles? Or is it simply up to you to find a mentor/instructor willing to show you how to mount/deploy/stow them?

Need = Scuba Police... No.

Need = Attain effective trim, streamlined stowage and correct procedures... Yes, ideally.

I know of at least one diver who died because they under-estimated the need for training (formal or otherwise) with pony cylinders.

I am also not interested in asking about this scenario at a dive shop because dive shop owners are salesmen and are looking to sell equipment like used car salesmen sell old Jeep Wranglers, I already know what opinion I will get at a dive shop.
As a dive shop owner, I believe that redundancy is an excellent idea. Why? Because I care about the safety of divers.
Divers any thoughts or experiences with this idea?
IMO, Spare Air is an expensive, unreliable solution. Slinging a cylinder is a viable option as well as side-mount. I prefer a pony mount, because it is less cumbersome.

Whatever works for you, whether you rent it or own it, redundancy is a great way to dive![/QUOTE]

As far as hose lengths and SPG goes, how long should the pony regulator be? 24",30"? Also, should you just check the psi before the dive or should you mount a SPG on a short hose? Does this add to another entanglement hazard and offer the risk of confusing hoses?

I use a 40" hose, routed behind the neck (the yellow hose in the photo below).

Completing-decompression.jpg

SPG is on a 6" HP hose, routed down the tank, bent backwards and secured to 1st stage with elastic bungee.

Hello Divers,

I am new to this board and was looking for a way to get some opinions from other divers about a possible solution to a scuba equipment problem. I am interested in mitigating the risk of out-of-air emergency at a low cost without sacrificing the true effectiveness and reliability of the air supply. I simply do recreational scuba diving and am happy in open water.

Best not to look for a feel-good equipment solution to a dive behavior issue. In order to mitigate the risk of out-of-air emergencies, simply dive in a safe manner; plan your dive and stick to the plan, manage your gas, and dive ONLY with responsible buddies, and be one yourself. It's really simple, and best of all, it's free!!

If you are solo or technical diving, a redundant air source is an appropriate gear decision, but technical and/or solo diving is by it's nature much riskier and therefore requires higher skills usually obtained through good training. The gear alone does NOT make you safer.

Sorry to be on a soapbox, but this comes up frequently. Some OW divers 'feel' safer by carrying a pony, but in fact they're not (at least not by any statistical evidence) maybe because it so often results in dive behavior that they would otherwise avoid.

And the risk of immediate loss of ability to get air from your regulator is so minimal as to be probably smaller than many other risks you face if you're not diving with a buddy, and you don;t have immediate access to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom