THE CAVE movie, verdicts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KangarooSeatbelt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright so after quite a bit of waiting, The Cave was finally released to theaters. I saw it opening night.. i couldn't wait to see some awesome underwater cave shots.
Sooooo. Now that it's out I just wanted to hear what everyone thought of the movie, any irregularities or mistakes you might have caught, etc.

I thought it was good, stupid obviously, but still fun to watch... some really nice underwater shots.. they filmed a lot of it at hidden world cenotes in mexico I think, where they also filmed the imax "journey into amazing caves." I will say that Cole Hauser was awesome... the way he would suddenly jerk his head off to the side b/c he saw something and just sort of stare in that direction... hilarious.

I liked how they talked underwater with regulators in their mouths and not a facemask.
I loved the flourecent yellow split fins...and that their rebreathers lasted 24 hours underwater.

I also noticed they were running lines a lot.. the first scout was running this double reel contraption that was spinning off two lines at once... isn't that bad form? I know in Sheck's intro book it says two lines is bad news...
Plus, when the first scout took off, he was running lines from the double reel contraption, which had normal dive rite primary sized reels, and then he said he'd travelled 2.4 miles. extra stretchy line?

Lastly, I liked how they would just randomly have random equipment when they needed it. Towards the end Jack's brother (i can't remember his name... starts with a t) went back for the others after the group split up. He had a single tank open circuit scuba system with him. where the @#$@# did that come from?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you all think when you see it.

Sam

I saw "The Cave" Friday night. I liked it! I loved the underwater sequences, the cave crawling, and even the "monsters". They weren't cheezy like most alien monsters. There was plenty of gear to look at and shout out all the brand names. I thought it was a great underwater, cave dwelling, sci-fi flick. It was a great escape and a chance to see some great UW sequences with all the gear. The characters were easy on the eyes also, that's always a plus. hubba hubba
I think it will be good for scuba. It was slick, adventurous and exciting. We are all involved in a great sport! I went home after the movie exicted about getting up in the AM for a couple of dives at my local mudhole. Scuba Rocks!
I am not a "caver" or a "tech" head so I don't know if there were any mistakes. I am sure there were in the interest of logistics and movie making. I don't know that I could have took listening to people on real UW communication unit, they probably would have had to subtitle it!

IMHO, it was a great sci-fi movie that happened to have some diving in it. If you were looking for a diving movie, you picked the wrong movie.

By the way, the 'twin spool' wasn't running two lines, one was the line and one was the video feed cable - it probably belonged to Wes Skiles and he let them use it. They had stage 80s packed on the sled, but I'm not going too far with the 'lets explain the gear' mode...e.g. verbal comm w/out ffm and the exploding DiveRite Arrow were a little tough to work through!

But Dr. Bill Stone made the first 24+ hour long dive on a Cis Lunar rebreather in the late 1980s, details are covered in the book on rebreathers by Jeff Bozanic. I'm sure there are current rebreathers that will perform to the same degree.

If you just settle back into your seat with some popcorn and enjoy the flick, its a decent sci-fi movie! :D

KangarooSeatbelt:
I liked how they talked underwater with regulators in their mouths and not a facemask.

Sam

Since plot is driven by emotion - with the purpose of exciting emotion - Plot technicalties far outweigh real life technicalities.

I haven't seen it yet, but just to waste a few bytes, my guess is the choice of talking with regs is a hollywood compromise. A full mask might prevent us from seeing important facial expressions and understanding the emotions of the characters. That minor plot/character-technicality could effectively render the movie impossible to make.

so in stead they probably opted to do a "sligtly-foolish-to-those-in-the-know-but-makeable-movie".

Yea the only thing that really got me was the dang talking under water, the split fins and exploding scooter, well if I wasn't a diver I wouldn't know any better, but the talking.. that was tough, but how could they have done the scenes without talking?

Doc Intrepid:
IMHO, it was a great sci-fi movie that happened to have some diving in it. If you were looking for a diving movie, you picked the wrong movie.

By the way, the 'twin spool' wasn't running two lines, one was the line and one was the video feed cable - it probably belonged to Wes Skiles and he let them use it. They had stage 80s packed on the sled, but I'm not going too far with the 'lets explain the gear' mode...e.g. verbal comm w/out ffm and the exploding DiveRite Arrow were a little tough to work through!

But Dr. Bill Stone made the first 24+ hour long dive on a Cis Lunar rebreather in the late 1980s, details are covered in the book on rebreathers by Jeff Bozanic. I'm sure there are current rebreathers that will perform to the same degree.

If you just settle back into your seat with some popcorn and enjoy the flick, its a decent sci-fi movie! :D

Didn't know about the vid feed or the 24+ rebreather... very cool!

And to all, I know it's just a movie and they're going to have to make sacrifices, like the comms without ffm, but it's still fun to pick apart, and you really can't help it when watching something like that. I enjoyed the movie, it was great to sit back and enjoy a movie with diving in it, esp cave diving.

FIXXERVI6:
Yea the only thing that really got me was the dang talking under water, the split fins and exploding scooter, well if I wasn't a diver I wouldn't know any better, but the talking.. that was tough, but how could they have done the scenes without talking?
I haven't seen the movie yet but we talk through our rebreather mouthpiece all the time. The hoses act as a resonating chamber and it works quite well

FIXXERVI6:
I've talked some through my OC as well but these guys had perfect speech.
Yeah but with a rebreather you can actually understand what is said :D
Movies frequently take liberties with reality. I remember an episode of Sea Hunt where Mike's narrative starts "I was at 60 ft...." you could see the bubbles clearly breaking the surface inches above his head

I just saw it, and enjoyed it. Yeah, it takes a pretty serious suspension of disbelief across, oh, let's see, diving, cave diving, climbing, equipment, temperature, science, team discipline, safety / accidents / injuries, etc...
:lol:

But it was still fun to see a lot of great underwater scenes of a relatively technical nature.

I also liked how they linked to, er, that *other* set of scary stories without being explicit or heavy-handed about it.

Thumbs up! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom