The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cdreamer,

It is not illegal to see or film a seal hunt, it is illegal to be within a specified distance of the seal hunt without proper permits (I'm not sure of the distance right now)

When the protesters started going to the ice years ago, there was no restriction on where they could go.., they started interfering with the hunt, blocking sealers on the ice and blocking the boats from performing a LEGAL hunt. Tempers rose, altercations happened. Because people could not act like adults in close quarters (on both sides) limits were put in place to protect the sealers from being interfered with and to protect the protesters from getting a hapik in the head (so to speak)

It was simply to keep the peace.

You guys have GOT to be kidding, right? Beef "renewable"? Funny, a bunch of "environmentalists" complaining about seal/whale/whatever hunting, yet having no problems supporting animal "farming". Get educated:

http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/A0701E00.pdf

Then get your priorities straight. Your hypocrisy is stunning.
i didn't complain about the seal hunt.. perhaps you would like to look for my other posts in this thread?

cattle are going extinct faster than tuna or sharks? interesting..

Isn't Breast Feeding Dairy?:D:eyebrow::11:

You mentioned this before and I responded but nobody had any opinions on what I said. Any ideas?

Well, I do have a hard time understanding how we are masters of nature given the examples I provided earlier. Humans have the power to have significant impact on the rest of nature yes but in no way are we master of nature. I don't know much about vegans or the issue of breast milk but I'll offer an idea. Don't vegans avoid anything animal related mainly because of animal rights issues. If a mother breast feeds her baby, she is volunteering the use of her breast milk. Therefore there is not a rights violation. This is just an idea, I really don't know a whole lot about veganism.

Papa_Bear, just an observation I've had but is the exclamation point the only punctuation that works on your keyboard or are you just really excited? Just asking.

What's so hilarious about the "Man is the Master of the Planet" attitude is that man has been here for a much shorter time period then most of the animal species on this Earth. If there is any "master" of this planet the Shark wins hands down. The Shark remains literally un-evolved since the days of the dinosaur.

As for the seal hunt, nothing on Earth could make me agree with that slaughter just like nothing on Earth could make me agree with genocide taking place around the globe. Again, I don't seperate human kind and animal kind and elevate myself to "god-like" status because I am a human being. Read Nature Diver's profile quote by Syliva Earle - it's true. Bashing in animals skulls, gill netting, long lining, strip fishing, whaling, de-foresting, over-developing, dolphin fishing, carbon dioxide emissions, etc, etc, - this list is practically endless does not constitute living in part with a natural world. It constitutes using that natural world for your own exploitation. I think it's crystal clear that it doesn't work.

As for the Canadian Coast Guard ramming SS - no comment. Luckily someone is up there making an effort to document this whole thing.

Perhaps there is an overpopulation of seals in Canada. In the state of Wisconsin there was an overpopulation of white tailed deer and many animals were suffering from SWS (Sudden Wasting Syndrome) a parasite spread when there is an overpopulation event. The DNR flew over in helicoptors low to the ground and shot certain deer showing signs of the illness in the head or heart killing them instantly. If seal overpopulation is such an issue in Canada why doesn't the government there adopt similar methods for a more humane culling of a problem animal.

Wow, they must be pretty good shots to kill them all instantly...:shakehead:

They are crack shots! BTW some research into the notion that a seal population is causing a decline in Cod stocks is highly, highly debatable.

Hey Guys I found a video you all can really appreciate!

YouTube - Seal Clubbing: Pastime of the North

I still find their profession more acceptable than ones who earn fat paychecks and drive an SUV like 50% of my neighbors. Who is causing more harm to the environment?

Man causes more disruption to the enviroment than anyone else. Everytime we throw away a plastic bag, a polyester shirt, or dump away a used TV or computer... We are killing the enviroment.

Don't upgrade your TV, computer, or buy a new car... I haven't bought a new car since 1992. Even that truck I bought new, had its engine rebuilt and is still on the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom