The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must agree that the Canadian seal hunt does allow various special interest groups a great "photo-op" campaign regarding cute, furry creatures. One thing that does concern me about SS is an article I recently read from an Australian news source. The article had an interview with one of SS volunteers and he claims that Paul Watson is expecting people to go out to sea in very rough conditions with little to no training and that it's almost gotten several volunteers really hurt.

One thing I will say, if this is true, SS should be certain to train their volunteers and not expect them to do anything that could cause them harm. I will say that when Paul Watson ordered to men to board a Japanese whaling ship in an inflatable boat to deliver a letter, that could have caused SS's volunteers substantial harm.

I must agree that the Canadian seal hunt does allow various special interest groups a great "photo-op" campaign regarding cute, furry creatures. One thing that does concern me about SS is an article I recently read from an Australian news source. The article had an interview with one of SS volunteers and he claims that Paul Watson is expecting people to go out to sea in very rough conditions with little to no training and that it's almost gotten several volunteers really hurt.

One thing I will say, if this is true, SS should be certain to train their volunteers and not expect them to do anything that could cause them harm. I will say that when Paul Watson ordered to men to board a Japanese whaling ship in an inflatable boat to deliver a letter, that could have caused SS's volunteers substantial harm.

I'm not 100% on this but I almost positive that the men weren't ordered but volunteered for the task. Follow the link and you'll see some things that the two men say afterwards and they don't sound like they were forced to do anything. Good points though.

Japanese Release Hostages

I'm not 100% on this but I almost positive that the men weren't ordered but volunteered for the task. Follow the link and you'll see some things that the two men say afterwards and they don't sound like they were forced to do anything. Good points though.

Japanese Release Hostages

Capt. Watson didn't "order" the men to board, they went voluntarily. They had to
hide a couple of satelite transmitters on board so they could find the ship later.

Because they have said so! Simple, it is their country and their lawmakers say it is! Become a Canadian Citizen and elect your candidate and demeaned a free press, but then again this political wackos aren't the press! Bet you can't get access to a top secret base either! Because it's the law!

The great ship rammer is whining that the Coast Guard rammed him, suck it up Paul, get in a ramming contest with the ice breaker, show them who's the terror of the sea. Show them what that doofus can opener can do to an icebreaker

The ice pack is not a playground, it's a moving treacherous surface. The more there are amateurs on it trying to get some images they would like to photoshop, the more the coast guards will have to act to save them. And the more boats you have close to one another, in a rough icy see, the bigger the danger of having a maritime disaster. And believe me, they have enough on their hands right now.

Again, I would rather be a seal, and take my chances with the hunters, sharks, orcas... Than be a pig, beef calf, lamb... etc.

At least the fur will give someone a warm pelt, and the oil used for good purpose. It is too bad they can't use the carcass.

There might be some truth that overpopulation of seal can cause a decrease in fish population. You might have a win win situation for the folks who live there that they might improve their fishery and earn income in the off season. It is easy for fat asses like us to complain about seal hunting, when we have a job, warm home, big SUV's, expensive dive vacations..... And they are just looking for a way to provide for their family.

A well controlled study done in Michigan noted that when commorants were controlled, the fish population rebounded. It isn't rocket science. But many people will argue against the control of predatory birds and mammals in the improvement of fisheries.

Again, I would rather be a seal, and take my chances with the hunters, sharks, orcas... Than be a pig, beef calf, lamb... etc.

At least the fur will give someone a warm pelt, and the oil used for good purpose. It is too bad they can't use the carcass.

There might be some truth that overpopulation of seal can cause a decrease in fish population. You might have a win win situation for the folks who live there that they might improve their fishery and earn income in the off season. It is easy for fat asses like us to complain about seal hunting, when we have a job, warm home, big SUV's, expensive dive vacations..... And they are just looking for a way to provide for their family.

A well controlled study done in Michigan noted that when commorants were controlled, the fish population rebounded. It isn't rocket science. But many people will argue against the control of predatory birds and mammals in the improvement of fisheries.

meat is not always wasted, at least in the magdalen islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom