The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to have perfect trim and be very secure in your manhood to pull off a flowered tank, I totally make this work....

Chip_on_Tony.jpg

That folks is the way the pros respond to a gag pic... classic response!

Kevin, if you can take excellent pictures such as yours with camera problems and deathly slow shutter lag, I'd be scared to see what you could do with a top notch camera. Man, those are great pictures!

As for the shark... it must have been that new dive cologne I wore.. Atlantic chum. Bought it off a guy missing a leg. Used to be a surfer or something.

Thanks for taking care of me today Kevin. I'm so excited I got to see my first shark :D

Today's viz was kind of icky... and the water was a little chilly... But there was no current on the Castor.

Of course it was a great time with Kev and a boat full of friends :)

kev-castor.jpg

DivingPrincessE
divingprincesse.jpg

castor-bow.jpg

castor-stern.jpg

Well, we had some interesting dives with Kev on Friday. On the first dive the current was running East, so it was ripping us off the reef. The second dive found the current much more cooperative, and better visibility. The down side was that the water temp was down to 75*. Brrrr

I was shooting macro, so I had fun with some of the smaller stuff.

1211771134_Rough-Fileclam-copy.jpg

Rough Fileclam

1211771158_Golden-Crinoid-copy.jpg

Golden Crinoid

Well, we had some interesting dives with Kev on Friday. On the first dive the current was running East, so it was ripping us off the reef. The second dive found the current much more cooperative, and better visibility. The down side was that the water temp was down to 75*. Brrrr

I was shooting macro, so I had fun with some of the smaller stuff.

1211771134_Rough-Fileclam-copy.jpg

Rough Fileclam

1211771158_Golden-Crinoid-copy.jpg

Golden Crinoid

Sweet pics Fish!
That first dive was brutal. If I recall correctly we did Black Condo in reverse, then eventually cut across the top of the reef to catch a finger. The vis all weekend was atrocious, however on the second dive of Sunday afternoon, warm, blue water was pushing across the reef. Hopefully by now with the hard Northeast blow, the scary green water will get washed out. The cold green water, though it did mess up the vis and cause some crazy currents, did actually enhance the diving in some ways by bringing up nutrients and interesting plankton from the deep. This caused a great deal of activity and very, very dense life. Most of the dives had two current directions, one for the upper layer of warm water, and one for the lower cold layer. The cold layer was always moving in some vector of south, and the warm water moving north or standing still. Also, the bottom current was typical moving much faster than the top water, which the opposite of how things normally go out there.

tigerspaw-1.jpg

The bad viz made it pretty dark down there, even as shallow as 50 feet. Many of the night shift were out and about, like this tiger's paw sea cucumber.

fishbutt.jpg

The current on Black Condo was murder. It was hard enough just to stay on the reef with the flag. The only pictures I got were fish butts.

abusedturt.jpg

On the second dive, I watched a huge male hawksbill swim up to this guy while he was eating and start biting at the little guy's head. The bully turtle left before I could get close enough for a shot (though I did get a crappy shot of him swimming away). The little guy seemed to have forgotten all about it ten seconds later and got back to foraging.

Saturday didn't bring any improvement to the viz, but I did find a fairly large creature which was previously unknown to science (in my mind). It had a wispy blob of dark color in it's center, surrounded by what appeared to be hundreds of tiny bubbles, all encased in a barely visible membrane. The creature was roughly football shaped, about 10" x 8". I got the best pics that I could manage of it, but because the thing is almost invisible, it was difficult to even figure out where it was at all in my monitor. Even though it's hard to see in the pictures I took, it is still easier to see it in them than it was to see it in real life. Anyway, it was cool. I found what appeared to be the remains of one, or rather just a membrane later on, during the afternoon trip too.

DarkMatter.jpg

The thing. This is actually the second picture I took of it. It seems as though just the turbulence I caused by swimming near it caused the membrane to rupture. I didn't realize this until after looking at the pictures. Sorry thing!!!

DarkMatter2.jpg

Here's the first shot, the membrane is a bit more visible here.

deaddarkmatter.jpg

The dead one from the afternoon.

pairofgreys.jpg

Just so that this report isn't exclusively about bags of cytoplasm, here's a pair of grey angelfish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom