The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sympathize with you visitors. For me, when the boat becomes more dangerous than the dive, I sit it out. 4' is about my max, but I am lucky enough to live here, after all.

If it is rough, it is not fun. If it is not going to be fun, wait till next weekend!

... It looks like it is going to become the price of admission at more places.

I was in the same position you are in now. Hundreds of dives but couldn't dive the 'Grove' unless I had the card. It's not the shop, not the boat, not the captain. It's plain and simple the insurance companies. The basic rule is, You can't advertise an Advanced dive trip and not check for an advanced 'C' card. It's just the insurance companies saying "you can't be negligent when you advertise before hand that it's a deeper dive and not verify the diver has the certification to do that type of dive (trimix, RB, AOW, full Cave, etc)". You ain't getting helium unless you got the card, even if you have been to 200 ft and logged it on a dive computer, we don't care. Dang insurance companies are so picky when it comes to manifest's !!

I'll bet Rob or Donna at SW will see your skills from the beginning and know that you have the history and experience and will make your AOW class a very fun and enjoyable time. Have you decided what your 5 dives will be?

I was in the same position you are in now. Hundreds of dives but couldn't dive the 'Grove' unless I had the card. It's not the shop, not the boat, not the captain. It's plain and simple the insurance companies. The basic rule is, You can't advertise an Advanced dive trip and not check for an advanced 'C' card. It's just the insurance companies saying "you can't be negligent when you advertise before hand that it's a deeper dive and not verify the diver has the certification to do that type of dive (trimix, RB, AOW, full Cave, etc)". You ain't getting helium unless you got the card, even if you have been to 200 ft and logged it on a dive computer, we don't care. Dang insurance companies are so picky when it comes to manifest's !!

I'll bet Rob or Donna at SW will see your skills from the beginning and know that you have the history and experience and will make your AOW class a very fun and enjoyable time. Have you decided what your 5 dives will be?
Johnoly there is no arguing with the truth of what you are saying---but the sickness about this is that there is close to a majority of AOW training that is so massively negligent in the "competent performance" or mastery of advanced skills after certification for it, that this renders the insurance mandate to be a rule, based on a lie.
None of us should tolerate it.

Johonly

Our dives are deep, nav, peak buoyancy, drift, wreck and naturalist. A good assortment by the instructor for diving down here. He said he would also teach SMB deployment which Maribi has not done yet, and is a good skill.

Saw that. But with winds of 14-18 knots, it will be 3-5 and occasional 6, as my years here tell me. Also, will be a very short, steep and nasty chop with whitecaps. Even so, we are waiting to see . . . .

It really depends on the size of the boat. 40+ foot boats and I have no problem with 4-6 ft seas (captain of course comes into play).

Four great dives with UE yesterday, a bit bumpy, but tolerable. Going out again this morning, we'll see.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2013 at 08:38 PM ----------

Four more great dives with UE today. Dive on the Castor with no current, 78 degrees. good viz. Table Tops, Shark Alley, and Black Condo all 79-80 degrees. We have a 3 tanker in the morning, hope my luck holds

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom