The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Kevin yesterday morning. We dove the Bud Bar (which is a super cool wreck with a TON of growth that I hadn't dove before) and Black Condo for dive #2. Water was 69-72, viz only 20' but the sealife was popping.
Drifting down the reefline on #2 with Kev 10' ahead and 5' below me, a 12' Great Hammerhead "came out of nowhere" and swam almost over Kev's head. We were both simply awed by this magnificent and majestic creature :wink:

I have seen this huge hammerhead, but never the great white, even though we dove that general area Thurs, Sat and yesterday. I guess timing is everything. We did chase a 40" plus black grouper in the same vicinity. Can't believe how much the temp dropped after recording 75 on Thurs, but that wall of green water was cold. Congrads on your awesome sighting.

We saw the great white yesterday, late morning, on the back side of Lynn's reef in about 65 feet of water! It swam right by us, about 20 feet away from us. I saw it first, and froze, due to the sheer size of it, and not believing what I was seeing. I motioned to my dive to come quickly, he was about 2 arms lengths away from me. He froze also. The shark didn't seem to show any interest in us, however, I'm sure it new that we were there. I felt better staying right next to my buddy so that we would appear as a larger object. It is quite intimidating to see! We watched it swim by us, slowly until it swam out of site. We watched it for about 30 seconds. I then decided that since we had been down for 45 mins, perhaps it was time to go up. We slowly ascended, with minimal movements, looking down and all around during our ascent, and then stayed very still on the surface until we were picked up. It is a very large fish, @ 12- 15 ft. It is very distinct looking. It is very white on the bottom and gray on the top with a jagged line differentiating between the 2 colors. The white is very bright and distinct, and you can't miss it. I have seen the bull and hammerhead that frequent these reefs, and they do not compare in size to this fish, they look like puppies compared to it! It was very wide, it looked like a submarine...it was that wide.
How awesome!!!! I'm so jealous! Male or female?

I dove with Kevin yesterday morning. We dove the Bud Bar (which is a super cool wreck with a TON of growth that I hadn't dove before) and Black Condo for dive #2. Water was 69-72, viz only 20' but the sealife was popping.
Drifting down the reefline on #2 with Kev 10' ahead and 5' below me, a 12' Great Hammerhead "came out of nowhere" and swam almost over Kev's head. We were both simply awed by this magnificent and majestic creature :wink:

Timing is everything. I need to work on my timing, like more often.

Brian, go see Chip and Em for your surprise from Philly.

Good diving, Craig

:bump:

Sure wish I was in Boynton Beach rather than San Diego. Came a few days early to a meeting and looks like I will get blown out of any diving this trip.

Brian, did you ever get your Chocolate Juniors?

Sad, not diving, Craig

:bump:

Sure wish I was in Boynton Beach rather than San Diego. Came a few days early to a meeting and looks like I will get blown out of any diving this trip.

Brian, did you ever get your Chocolate Juniors?

Sad, not diving, Craig

He FINALLY came by for them this week. :)

So what does this weekend look like in Boynton? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

-- Martin

Martin,

I'm on the Sunday morning run, please join me, I'd like to meet the guy that takes all the great pictures (there's a single spot left according to the online reservation system).

Forecast:

AMZ650-670-260230-
COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL EXTENDING FROM
20 NM TO 60 NM-
243 PM EDT FRI JUN 25 2010

TONIGHT
EAST SOUTHEAST WINDS 13 TO 16 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 13 TO 16 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 13 TO 16 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 13 TO 16 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 11 TO 14 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom