The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have you seen any grouper latley out there? I know the season reopens next thursday and we were thinking about heading over that way.

It seems to me that the season was gonna be closed through the end of April, but I may be mistaken. No more groupers than usual right now though, one here one there. A couple of months ago the gags were thick though.

Well no whale Sharks! but two great days of diving off Boynton, water temps this past week low 70's and Tuesday vis was about 40' on Lynn's Friday was a bit less.
But for my son Lucas, and Gal pal Linda,and diver in training Amber Thanks so much Kevin for the great diving!and Capt Alex!
We all have so many great memories and wow so cool to see my son do his first ocean drift dives and Linda wrap up her adventure dives we had a blast!
but now back home in Wisconsin.
Thanks
Brad and the Gang

Hey thanks for coming Brad!

No whale sharks today, but Alex and Francois saw a large bodied, 10-12 foot long shark swimming on the surface inside of Black Condo. The top half of the shark was gray, and the lower portions were "as white as coconut meat". The division between the two colors was distinct, not a fade from gray to white, but a sharp, jagged line "as if it were painted on". It sounds to me like a Great White, which we do get occasionally. So keep your eyes peeled for the fish and remember, you heard it first in the Boynton Dive Chronicles!

Otherwise, conditions were as follows:
Seas were 2-4 feet, there was am upwelling. The warm water was about 74 and went down to about 55 feet and flowed gently o the north. Below that there was an icepick in the forehead cold current moving pretty fast from east to west washing over the top of the reef. dont ask me how cold it was... I stayed above it as best I could. Viz was about 70 in the cold layer, about 40 feet in the warm.

No whale sharks today, but Alex and Francois saw a large bodied, 10-12 foot long shark swimming on the surface inside of Black Condo. The top half of the shark was gray, and the lower portions were "as white as coconut meat". The division between the two colors was distinct, not a fade from gray to white, but a sharp, jagged line "as if it were painted on". It sounds to me like a Great White, which we do get occasionally. So keep your eyes peeled for the fish and remember, you heard it first in the Boynton Dive Chronicles!

Otherwise, conditions were as follows:
Seas were 2-4 feet, there was am upwelling. The warm water was about 74 and went down to about 55 feet and flowed gently o the north. Below that there was an icepick in the forehead cold current moving pretty fast from east to west washing over the top of the reef. dont ask me how cold it was... I stayed above it as best I could. Viz was about 70 in the cold layer, about 40 feet in the warm.

Wow, see you April 22-25.

Thanks for the enticement,

Craig

WOW One week a whaleshark, then on my dive a big Hammerhead (but I missed it) & now possibly a Great White I can't wait for next weeks report. Anyhow, my dive on the 27th was great even though water temp was 66 on Lynns & 68 on the Fingers & ? Clubhouse. Kevin was as usual a great guide pointing out the lobsters that needed to be removed before the April 1st deadline & even found a purple mouth eel. I love the reefs that the Explorer goes to lots of fish & so much color. I love the different corals & spend a lot of time looking at them & the little stuff that sometimes I fail to see the big stuff. However, I did manage to see a turtle, stingray with a jack over him & a nurse shark as well as many spotted morays, butterfly fish, trumpets. So much fish, so much color so little time (except I did manage 1 hr dives-Yeah)
P3275179.jpg P3275191_edited-1.jpg P3275195_edited-2.jpg P3275201_edited-1.jpg

Anyone have the temps from this past weekend?

We saw the great white yesterday, late morning, on the back side of Lynn's reef in about 65 feet of water! It swam right by us, about 20 feet away from us. I saw it first, and froze, due to the sheer size of it, and not believing what I was seeing. I motioned to my dive to come quickly, he was about 2 arms lengths away from me. He froze also. The shark didn't seem to show any interest in us, however, I'm sure it new that we were there. I felt better staying right next to my buddy so that we would appear as a larger object. It is quite intimidating to see! We watched it swim by us, slowly until it swam out of site. We watched it for about 30 seconds. I then decided that since we had been down for 45 mins, perhaps it was time to go up. We slowly ascended, with minimal movements, looking down and all around during our ascent, and then stayed very still on the surface until we were picked up. It is a very large fish, @ 12- 15 ft. It is very distinct looking. It is very white on the bottom and gray on the top with a jagged line differentiating between the 2 colors. The white is very bright and distinct, and you can't miss it. I have seen the bull and hammerhead that frequent these reefs, and they do not compare in size to this fish, they look like puppies compared to it! It was very wide, it looked like a submarine...it was that wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom