The Big Island, Kauai or a cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're considering meeting friends in Hawaii in July/Aug. Our options right now are either an NCL cruise, or a landbased week on either Hawaii or Kauai.

My husband and I are avid divers. The other couple and their 14 yr old all dive but are beginners. The husband and daughter are AOW with less then 20 dives. The wife has about 10 dives and is not comfortable with anything much deeper then 40-50 ft.

The itinerary I'm looking at is on Pride of America and has port calls in Hilo, Kahului(full 2 days), Kona and Nawiliwili (full 2 days). The one-day stops arrive 8am and depart 6 or 7pm. How is the diving in these areas? Advanced, good for beginners,etc? Long boat rides?

Would either Kauai or Hawaii be a better choice for us?

Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

I've been to the Big Island three times and Kauai once, and my vote would be for the Big Island. The diving and snorkelling from the Kona side are great, and of course there is the "famous" manta ray night dive as well. Much of the diving is very easy, no problem for beginners -- I was certified in Kona 5 years ago. There are also loads of land-based activities to do on the Big Island -- hiking, Volcanoes National Park, beautiful gardens and waterfalls in Hilo, etc, etc. Not to mention the beaches, of course. Kauai also offers beautiful beaches and hiking and such (no volcanoes, though) and I have no complaints with the diving there, but Kona diving is definitly a few notches better (and then there are those manta rays as well!). Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

scubawife:
We're considering meeting friends in Hawaii in July/Aug. Our options right now are either an NCL cruise, or a landbased week on either Hawaii or Kauai.

My husband and I are avid divers. The other couple and their 14 yr old all dive but are beginners. The husband and daughter are AOW with less then 20 dives. The wife has about 10 dives and is not comfortable with anything much deeper then 40-50 ft.

The itinerary I'm looking at is on Pride of America and has port calls in Hilo, Kahului(full 2 days), Kona and Nawiliwili (full 2 days). The one-day stops arrive 8am and depart 6 or 7pm. How is the diving in these areas? Advanced, good for beginners,etc? Long boat rides?

Would either Kauai or Hawaii be a better choice for us?

Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it possible you haven't heard of the Manta Ray Night Dive ? If you have heard, it's fantastic. If you haven't heard, take a look at this video.

right click and "save target as" to download

www.ronrosa.com/hawaii.wmv

Sorry for people who have already seen it. I post this link a lot as it seems every few weeks someone asks if the diving in Kona is good.

Did my first dives years ago at Sheraton Caverns off south Kauai, where the diving is very amenable to beginners. I was about 14 or so at the time, as I recall, but others could advise you better about that island. Earlier this month, I did my first dives off of Kona with Capybara, where the diving was quite nice, even with some recent swells cutting in on the famed vis a bit. There is a detailed trip report at the end of the thread, search under "nitrox cert, AOW, Big Island" or just go a few posts back in the Hawaii section of the board, you're sure to find it. It details some of the non-diving stuff to do as well, with lots of photos. I'm not a fan of the big cruise ships, mainly because I've been on shore when they pull up disgorging loads of passengers, and I favor trips without the crowds. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about dive specifics, and enjoy your trip whatever you decide.

Thanks everyone! My preference was The Big Island, but I said I'd check out the other options too. Although the cruise would give us a chance to sample all the islands, I'd rather spend the week on one island. We've been to Oahu before and I have no real desire to go back.

ronrosa, you're video clip was great! I'd seen the Manta night dive on a Hawaii Travel Channel show and that really interests me.

Time to start researching condos, houses, topside activities and dive shops.

I was in the Kona area two years ago. From a vacation standpoint I found it very relaxing to just vegitate and relax at the pool/ beach and watch the whales (I was there in Feb). I did find the diving disappointing. I was on the return leg from a business trip to Guam and could not help but compare the Kona diving to Guam. I did not get to do the Manta dive.

I returned from Kauai last week. I found the diving on the south side of the Island fantastic, with abundant fish life, much better than my dives on the big Island. The vacation was much more active than I had on the Big Island. We went Kayaking, Hiking, diving & golfing. Different vacation but just as enjoyable.

I have not been on a Hawaiian crusie.

Just my opinions but enjoy your vacation.

I have been to Kona 3 times. I mostly agree with CA Diver. The diving has great Vis but for the most part it is just OK.

But this last July I dove with Big Island Divers and had a Divemaster named Bob. He also has dove the South Pacific (Palau) and knew the type of diving i liked. Well....He took me to a couple of spots..... Spaceship and the Arches. WOW! very good to excellent diving. Great currents and lots of sea life.

The Manta Dive (which i have done 4 times) is in my top 5 dives ever!

Do Kona for a quick trip, maybe only 3 or 4 days of diving and the Manta dive twice. You will not be disapointed!

Aloha....don't forget Maui!~ You'll be on Maui (Kahului) for almost two days if you do the cruise. We have awesome diving here as well as the Big Island and the rest of the chain. Good luck with your decision, just make sure you plan some time to blow plenty of bubbles no matter which trip you choose.

Hi:
Just got back from a two week stay in Kona (our 12th time to the Big Island). We havent ventured to any of the other islands mainly because there is still more to see and do on the Big Island. And on this last trip, steve at wanna-dive-kona took me diving to places I've not been to before. So we will be going back again next year, same place some different spots. I posted a few pics in my gallery from the highlights of the trip, underwater of course
montyb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom