The Best UK Wreck Dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought everyone went there once a year to fresh water rinse their gear out?!?!

Anyway that new place is probably nearer - so not based there so can't remember it's name....

Underwater aircraft - I think there is a bomber off Newhaven but we never found it....

I was just getting to the stage of going after the south coast wrecks when they moved me out here so have not done much more than the Hood and Countess of Ern umpteen times!

Jonathan

I've never been to stoney either :wink:

I fresh water rinse my kit at Dosthill or Vobster Quay. Stoney is just to far although I am intrigued to see the helicopter for some reason even though nothing beats the parcel force van in Dosthill :p

Phish-phood once bubbled...
I fresh water rinse my kit at Dosthill or Vobster Quay. Stoney is just to far although I am intrigued to see the helicopter for some reason even though nothing beats the parcel force van in Dosthill :p

Not even the Cavalier? :)

Dom

Adrian Kelland once bubbled...

The list below is a pretty good indication.

http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/100best.shtml

I don't agree, I think its more a collection of well-dived wrecks, some of which are good, which are simply accessible to a large population of divers, and are grouped around the major 'diving' centres of the UK - and therefore easily dived by booking a charter boat in the area
The James Barrie and KPW feature highly, but there are far better, though less dived wrecks in the same area - I tend to feel the James Barrie is a bit sterile, and the KPW has changed out of all recognition over the last few years, but is still a good wreck

Jonathan once bubbled...
I thought everyone went there once a year to fresh water rinse their gear out?!?!

Anyway that new place is probably nearer - so not based there so can't remember it's name....

Jonathan

I can go one better than no Stoney - ive never dived fresh water at all :)

The "new place" is the "National Diving Centre" near Chepstow on the Welsh border. Its probably about 45 minutes drive from me and no, ive never been there either.....yet.....

I use the pool to rinse my gear off.

flw once bubbled...

The list below is a pretty good indication.

http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/100best.shtml

I don't agree, I think its more a collection of well-dived wrecks, some of which are good, which are simply accessible to a large population of divers, and are grouped around the major 'diving' centres of the UK - and therefore easily dived by booking a charter boat in the area
The James Barrie and KPW feature highly, but there are far better, though less dived wrecks in the same area - I tend to feel the James Barrie is a bit sterile, and the KPW has changed out of all recognition over the last few years, but is still a good wreck

flw

Fair enough, but the list and your comments go along way to answering the original question (what/why). The problem is the phrase 'favorite' , which like many shows on the idiot box tends towards meaning 'the most *dived, read, sold* whatever'. So the favorite of the masses is likely to be a wreck that can be easily accessed by those masses. And they are dived because they are in a list. A tautology really. Such a list also has the advantage of leaving other wrecks relatively undived and usually only by local groups.

ONE of my favorite wrecks is the James Eagan Layne, probably one of the most dived wrecks as it is very easily reached and is in 24m. I like it because it is large (don't see the other divers much) and has plenty to interest me and I don't know it all. We do it as a second dive or when blown out or work ups with trainees. This year it had grey mullett swimming around it, the first time I have ever seen them on a dive. I don't have a wreck I would put above all others.

Sadly I have yet to dive in Scotland, a sin for which I must soon make amends.

Regards

Adrian

ONE of my favorite wrecks is the James Eagan Layne, probably one of the most dived wrecks as it is very easily reached and is in 24m. I like it because it is large (don't see the other divers much) and has plenty to interest me and I don't know it all. We do it as a second dive or when blown out or work ups with trainees. This year it had grey mullett swimming around it, the first time I have ever seen them on a dive. I don't have a wreck I would put above all others.

Can't comment on it, cos I've never been there - I agree that there is aproblem on the 'favorite' phrase.
Yesterdays dive was one of my favorites in terms of 'good' diving - not necesarily the most fun - a steam trawler lost in 1917 in 75m, only ever dived 3 times before, twice by ourselves - the bow section is completely intact, but with most of the wooden structure gone. The anchors are still in place, the shells for the 'missing' gun in storage, right next to the shot -line was the port nav light, glass intact with Hull Steam fishing and Ice making co' on a brass plaque, nice pineapple light diffusers. Towards the collapsed bridge the helm, compass stand, rather utiliarian portholes, two telegraphs at full ahead - then destruction, a collapsed area, with a 'greenhouse' off to one side, the prop at 90deg to the rest of the wreck as the stern sits in a rocky gully - intact to a point where you could imagine people working aboard her, fittings as fallen
It doesn't fit into any of the 'eaily dived' categories, although it's not a particuarly challenging dive for its depth - none the less, most of the more accessible/well dived sites cease to be very interesting after a few dives like the above.

Regards

Adrian

Yes I dived the James Eagan Layne last Saturday and was very impressed, will have to do that again ASAP!
What part of Devon are you from?
Steve

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...

Yes I dived the James Eagan Layne last Saturday and was very impressed, will have to do that again ASAP!
What part of Devon are you from?
Steve

Hi Steve

Yep the JEL can be dived many times. I wish I knew my way around the inside properly, how the different areas relate. I have plans of liberty ships but they are not detailed enough.

I'm based in Exeter, a member of Exeter BSAC. We launch our boat from slips ranging from West Bay to Plymouth. That gives us a pretty good variety of wrecks in the 35m range.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom