The Best UK Wreck Dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dumper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
No one likes to spend 30 quid on a boat trip to see two planks of wood and a boiler, so what are the UK's best wreck dives and why?
I just want to get some idea of any decent wrecks that I have not dived on or heard of before, post your comments and we will see what is the UK's favorite wreck dive.

:rfish:

My diving knowledge outside Wales is severely limited but the best wreck dive ive done here is The Lucy.

Nearly totally intact, upright in 40m of water, 33m to the bow.
The mast comes to within 15m of the surface.

Glass still in the port holes and easy to explore around inside.

Theres something nice about a near-whole ship to dive.

There are several wrecks that I would rate as 'outstanding' that stick in my mind

HMS Pheasant, off Hoy, I've made 3 attempts to dive it, only reached it once - stern section intact, 3 props, small and very elegant, a gun fallen to the seabed, very interesting debris field, which is rock, so theres nothing buried, what looked like torpedoe tubes, and then loads of boilers - ran out of time then - tides are really strong, and tidal window can be non-existant, but well worth the effort. The quality of the fittings had to be seen.

HMS Hampshire - again beautiful fittings and impressive casement guns and props

HMT Asia, near home, upright, intact to the boilers, then the engines are 'missing' the intact again towards the stern, nice telegraphs and pineapple light diffusers

Unknown 20 miles off Wick - complete surprise, expecting half a destroyer - landed on a small steamship upright intact to the forward hold, portholes in lines down the deck, neat engine, all the glass in the gauges daylight visibility - just beyond words :)

Markgraf - after all these years I still always have a great time guddling around underneath this wreck

in the UK Wreck Ferrets forum....

My vote goes to the Stoney Helicopter - just kidding....

No problem, still trying to find my way around.
Cheers

I haven't got loads of UK diving under my belt but I would say that so far, the Kyarra in Devon is the best I have dived. The Viz was at least 12 metres when I was there in July and there was loads of life. A couple of divers came up with glass vials of perfume, and apparently there is plenty more where that came from! I have read that there is a hold which contains some gold watches, a couple of which have been recovered - not all though....

I'll definitely be returning.

What are your favourites?

Jonathan once bubbled...
in the UK Wreck Ferrets forum....

My vote goes to the Stoney Helicopter - just kidding....

Well ive never seen an underwater aircraft and never been to Stoney.. Do i get some sort of award for the latter ? :)

String once bubbled...
Well ive never seen an underwater aircraft and never been to Stoney.. Do i get some sort of award for the latter ? :) [/B]

I will join you on the podium for that one - I've never been to Stoney either!!

I am going in November though!!:D

the_dumper once bubbled...
No one likes to spend 30 quid on a boat trip to see two planks of wood and a boiler, so what are the UK's best wreck dives and why?
I just want to get some idea of any decent wrecks that I have not dived on or heard of before, post your comments and we will see what is the UK's favorite wreck dive.

The list below is a pretty good indication.

http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/100best.shtml

I agree that the Kyarra and Lucy are fine wrecks. I would put the Kyarra down as the better chance of finding something. I also like the James Eagan Layne, a bonus as it is localish for me. The Aolian Sky is another winner IMO.

As a UK based pro, you must have some opinions of your own favorites. What are they?

Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom