The best of 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My best of 2006: Diving the San Pedro wreck off Oahu during one of my AOW dives. Saw two large white tip sharks up close and personal along with sea turtles, an octo, and a couple of eels. Nothing like diving on a wreck sitting in 100' of salt water and being able to see every detail on the deck as soon as you do your giant stride off the dive boat. :D

One special moment associated with diving, but it wasn't underwater.
I sometimes volunteer for the Flower Garden Banks NMS by manning a booth or presenting workshops at various conferences. A couple of months ago, I was doing so at a conference for science teachers when a person approached our booth. After greetings, the young man asked, "You don't remember me, do you?" I had to confess that while he looked familiar, I couldn't give him a name. He continued, "That's all right. I was in one of your hour-long seminars at the national conference last year. You told me about a program for teachers (one in which teachers get the chance to dive on the FG for three days). I loved your pictures and video, so I applied for the program and got to go last summer. Man, it changed my life! I just wanted you to know how much more I enjoy diving because of it. Thank you!"

Made my year.

Well, it was hard to choose: The humpback whale encounter off Lanai? The ENORMOUS octopus that sat directly underneath and glared at me on a night dive at the office? But I'd have to say the best dive was my Fundies checkout dive, when I passed.

lazyturtle:
As 2007 winds down

lazyturtle...You found that elusive worm hole and was able to travel into the future:)

My best experience of 2006 happened just recently. I attended the Mike Norwood Memorial Dives in Morehead City, NC. John Chatterton was there and I was able to spend alot of time talking to him about all sorts of diving topics from deco techniques to environmental issues. He said he and Richie were very interested in getting something together to provide more exposure to environmental issues and getting more divers involved. Then we went on a dive on the Papoose. We experienced a whirlwind of activity. Schools of different fish were darting around everywhere, all around us. Inside the Papoose, the schools of bait fish were so thick that I couldn't see my tech instructor 6 feet in front of me, and he had an OMS HID. No exaggeration. There were also a bunch of amberjack and other fish. It was when we started seeing fish parts floating around in the water that we knew sand tigers and sand bar sharks were feeding. At one point we were on the anchor line and a huge school of bait fish passed right by us. When they finally passed by, we saw a sand tiger coming straight at us. When the bait fish passed and he saw us he slowed right down and mosyed on by. I've never seen a sand tiger moving that fast. Usually they just hang out. When Chatterton got in the boat he was very excited about that dive and then said "That was one of the 10 best dives I have ever done." No need to say more about how amazing that dive was...

This is not a single event but, at the end of local dives as I (or my buddy and I...yes, I do dive with a buddy...often) are getting into the sandy shallows, there is this great moment of peace. We just had a great dive and now the sun is streaking through the water creating those dancing images, we can see our shadows, there are small fish glimmering near the surface, the ripples in the sand look like a living desert. Laying on my back, I can watch the bubbles pop to the surface while the sunlight and fish scatter and return...

At that moment I thank God for allowing me the chance to be a part of His magnificent blue creation. The other stuff is a wonderful bonus...

Jon

Seeing my wife get qualified as a scuba diver, on her final qual dive she gave double OK signs and the look of happiness and achievement in her eyes I will never forget.

Mike

Ahhh, I'm such a noob. Oh well. In my limited experience, I have one 2006 dive that was more special than the others. In the spirit of a countdown, beginning with my third most favorite - the pumpkin carving at Gilboa, more for the SBers there than the temperature, vis, or activity.

Second favorite, would be the dives with Not So Ken when we watched and photographed Ber Rabbit's OW class. For an OW class, they had impressive buoyancy control. The enjoyment here was topside with the excitement they had after their first dives.

Most favorite dive was # 6 in the log. Buddy was a college buddy who encouraged me to dive. Location was Molasses Reef off Key Largo, the Spanish Anchor. The earlier dives that week (all 5 of them) we saw fairly usual stuff (I've been snorkeling for years so it wasn't all new to me - huh, jaded at 5 dives...oh well). We saw a huge Goliath grouper, and a 6 foot shark swam within a few feet of us. Then we posed with for photos with the anchor.

In keeping with the original title, A good 2007 would be not having to make a dive. :wink:

Other than that there were no real outstanding sport dives for 2006. :(

Gary D.

Best dive of the year started pretty mundane for me. I was enjoying the relaxing feeling of diving but in 72 degree green water checking out rockfish and occasional very small coral among the rocks when I heard the sound of a dolphin. I looked and he was right there with my buddy and I. Now my buddy for the dive didnt speak English and my Portguese is bad but under the water only a few miles from Rio de Janeiro we both understood the look in our eyes and I know I will return to the water again hoping to get another chance like that.

OW Dive #3 (1 & 2 were pretty silty) OMG!! Look a seastar!!! and a fish!!! and a crab!!! WOW!!!!

Since then...Dive #20 last Staurday. Came face to face with Sealion! WOW! He was big and so graceful underwater. A little scary and very exciting at the same time. Looking forward to much more diving in 2007 with new sights. Hopefully a trip to some warmer waters too!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom