The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny talking about how a boycott wouldn't work and how it would affect the little guy and not the inttended target.

Go to CNN and look for the video clip in the business section about Hamburg CA and how they tried to boycott exxon mobile.

way too (ironically) funny

jwdiverdude:
Consumer wins. I'll say they win in their mind becuase they got the best price and in this market all the stuff from the Wiki-Gray market is pretty much null and void here expect the part about warranty coverage. We established yesterday that at least the most well-known gray marketer is getting the lion share of their product from with in the U.S.

LDS loses. Sales go elsewhere becuase they can't compete in price or they compete in price, which takes away the benefits derived from minimum retail price for profit margin protection, and then if caught they face ramifications from the manufacture as demonstrated by the plight that started this thread and the thread that shall now be nameless.

With AL & SP regulators, many consumers may save in the short run only to lose in the long run. I am a DIYer for reg service but most divers are not able or interested in that approach. So, for the diver who abides by the required service interval to maintain the warrenty and receives the "free" parts for life, the break even point is probably only 2 or 3 years down the road. (Less if his service provider decides to punish him.) OTOH, if you are not going to maintain the parts for life deal then it is foolish to pay MSRP.

LDSs can control there losses if they want to and if they can get the customer dealing. Discounted services or training, free or discounted air, and discounted packages along with the "full manufactures warrenty" are all added values that the LDS has at its disposal. But too many of them refuse to deal (or are perceived that way) or only use the warrenty card and the customers go elsewhere.

Don Janni:
Gary: Thank you for stating the obvious.

Sometimes, people do not see the forest for the trees. Unfortunately, there are a number of posters who DO think this is an anything-goes free-for-all.

That's my observation about this thread and the previous, closed, one.

awap:
I'd like to join you, but I never had any intention of purchasing any AL gear anyway.

Actually, I never had any intention of buying any AL gear either, but now this clinches the end result.

Originally Posted by awap
I'd like to join you, but I never had any intention of purchasing any AL gear anyway.
DennisW:
Actually, I never had any intention of buying any AL gear either, but now this clinches the end result.
Nor I. I have an old Titan first stage I never use, won from an LDS raffle, so at least they never got any of my money.

Here's their site for those who may be curious about their other brands.

well, unfortunately they now own Apeks, which blows chunks

(not literally)

(well, in my case, literally)

H2Andy:
Yes it does.

And now there is no more mention of AL or Apex products on www.divesports.com. I guess they are not letting Phil sell off the rest of his inventory via the website.
AL just doesn't get it, it's not Phil that is making them look bad, they are doing that all on their own.

Lovely. Yet another informative and interesting thread nuked because a mod got tired of reading it or felt it had "run its course" (read: "got tired of reading it"). Heaven forbid they should let adults choose for themselves what they read -- or don't read.
I thought that comments like this were pretty inappropriate.

Thanks NetDoc & SB Mods for doing the fine "it" (inside story) you do. I think I'll put that in my Sig for now...

H2Andy:

(not literally)

(well, in my case, literally)

I'm not seeing that in what I can find on the internet. Looks to me like AL USA is the US distributor for Apeks. But that does not seem to be globally the case. For example, there are 21 distributors for Apex in the Netherlands. But the sole AL distributor, Suunto Benelux BV, is not among them.

i think i read somewhere that Aqualung bought Apeks

could be wrong

looking through their site, it looks like you're right and Aqualung just
distributes Apeks in the US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom