The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
Aqualung has shown their colors. I will never buy a piece of Aqualung equipment.

I'd like to join you, but I never had any intention of purchasing any AL gear anyway.

At first I thought it was something I said! I only found this thread by going to the "active threads" link. IMO, Phil acted like a gentleman and a professional throughout the entire thread. I don't own any Aqualung equipment, and they have now assured that I will not consider any product made by Air Liquide in the future. I'll also let my friends know of their bully tactics. Phil's difficulties (and all of the feedback in the thread) would not have stopped me from considering one of their products, if I thought it was the best choice to suit my needs. However, when a company that already has questionable practices starts to sick their lawyers on businessmen who are just trying to survive, I have to draw the line.

Any LDS that carries their products may be wise to reconsider their alliances; there are many products on the market that are equal to, or better than, AL. If shops start to change their offerings, and heavily discount their AL inventory, AL might see the light. I can't state it as fact, but it would seem to me that there's enough built in to the prices where a LDS could still eek out a small gross profit at discounted prices. A dealer with a reputation like Phil's should have no trouble finding a replacement.

If anyone on this board feels that they have been harmed by the policies that Aqualung (or other Air Liquide divisions), or any other company, has imposed on their dealers, I would suggest filing a price fixing and/or restraint of trade consumer complaint with the FTC.
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
It's a simple online form. That would give the Air Liquide lawyers something to do besides harrass small businessmen.

edit by Kim: I simply fixed the link.

For some reason the link is not showing as such. If you don't want to type the long link, you can go to www.ftc.gov and find it in the consumer section. Or, you can copy-and-paste the link.

Well, I think the idea would not be to boycott LDSs, but rather to buy friendlier brands from them. It would be nice to have a summary of the policies and actions of all manufacturers for anyone who wished to use that information as they saw fit.

cerich:
In the last thread I hit reply on your posting, I should have picked another post to do so. In fact you had discussed the effects, my NO!!! was not directed at you per say because others had suggested a boycott.

You have made some good points here and the other thread (whoever didn't get to read those postings will have to take my word on it...)

I do feel however there is a way for the consumer to affect change without hurting the LDS. In fact change will help the LDS if done well.

As far as getting attention, that seems to be happening already.

Best,

Chris

Oh there is
Make a choice.
When I make a major decision I usually get out a piece of paper and write down the pros and cons of the issue/decision.
In this case a dealer would decide on wether or not the benefits of offering AL products in their shop is worth dealing with the limits that AL is placing on them.
Can they or do they have access to a comparable line of gear to offer in it's place.
And can they then put up with the bumps that go along with implimenting the change.

If they can answer those questions for themself then they should be able to make a logical choice as wether to stay with AL or Bail out. For some I am sure to leave will be too hard. For other's it may be a piece of cake.

as a side note here is an interesting read on gray markets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

Never bought any Aqualung. I know for sure I will never buy any now !!

Cheers
Chris

nyprrthd:
Interesting and informative. Thanks.

Wasn't it though.

If AL lifted their internet sales restriction and eased off on the minimum price thing PE was talking about in the original thread. LDSs could practically eliminate the gray market.
Novel idea...what? have AL authorized dealers be the best deal around? sound like a good idea to me.

For those that remember Genesis, can you guess what he's saying now. Guess he was just ahead of his time. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom