The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
well, unfortunately they now own Apeks, which blows chunks

(not literally)

(well, in my case, literally)
That's the sad part....the Apek's,Legend and the Titan are great regs (I service them and so I have some bias)...I can do without anything else AL makes....not a fan at all of piston..so that don't leave much to choose from.. for me anyway...what we need is a great knockoff of the Apeks first and seconds then AL could go the way of the dodo bird...anybody got any money to buy AL from AirLiquide?

H2Andy:
i think i read somewhere that Aqualung bought Apeks

could be wrong

looking through their site, it looks like you're right and Aqualung just
distributes Apeks in the US

And, if that is the case, when you buy an Apeks regulator from a grey market dealer, AL may not realize any profit. :D

awap:
LDSs can control there losses if they want to and if they can get the customer dealing. Discounted services or training, free or discounted air, and discounted packages along with the "full manufactures warrenty" are all added values that the LDS has at its disposal. But too many of them refuse to deal (or are perceived that way) or only use the warrenty card and the customers go elsewhere.

This address a whole different issue:
The issue that all LDSs are not equal an issue which will take us down many different paths.

IMHO: I don't believe that the perception is that the LDS's refuse to deal as much as customers just plain don't ask.
When I see people shopping for anything, not just dive gear, they never even test the waters for a better deal. They ask "how much" and then shrugg their shoulders and walk away. I don't think that is a much a perception that the LDS is unwilling to deal as much as people don't want to appear "cheap" face to face. They have no problem being cheap over the phone or thru the internet.

awap:
...So, for the diver who abides by the required service interval to maintain the warrenty and receives the "free" parts for life, the break even point is probably only 2 or 3 years down the road. (Less if his service provider decides to punish him.) OTOH, if you are not going to maintain the parts for life deal then it is foolish to pay MSRP.
The LDS I bought my first Apeks regs from will not honor the "free parts" warranty. :mad:

fairbanksdiver:
That's a crock Snowbear!

Sometimes I hate living in Alaska. Business owners here are weird.

-Brandon.

That's because it is so dang expensive up there! It's more than you LDS that hates the internet around you....

Sorry I've gotten off topic.
Almost 2000 views in less than 24 hours, I KNOW people have strong views on the subject.
I also know I've been pretty vocal and know sometimes when I get vocal I may be off base or missing something.

Please people chime in with your views, this and the last thread have been very civil and this is the type of stuff we should be talking about!

Best,

Chris

H2Andy:
i think i read somewhere that Aqualung bought Apeks

could be wrong

Your not wrong. Visit http://www.deepseeinc.com/brands.html

I just did a dive trip with Dive Sports this past weekend, got back home, stepped away from diving and SB to do some work, and when I come back I find AL is trying to stop free speech. Goes to show you should never turn your back on a _____ (you fill in the blank). Just my opinion, that is, if I'm still allowed to have one.

BTW, I still have not received a reply to the emails I sent to AL.

RocketMan:
Your not wrong. Visit http://www.deepseeinc.com/brands.html

I just did a dive trip with Dive Sports this past weekend, got back home, stepped away from diving and SB to do some work, and when I come back I find AL is trying to stop free speech. Goes to show you should never turn your back on a _____ (you fill in the blank). Just my opinion, that is, if I'm still allowed to have one.

BTW, I still have not received a reply to the emails I sent to AL.

Didn't they buy them a while ago?

http://www.aqualung.com/home.html
Apeks has been at the bottom of this website for pretty long time now.

Well I figured since I was reading here, up until this thread was posted I was looking at getting Apeks ATX100/ATX50 octo combo, but after this thread I have decided to go with Zeagle gear instead via scubatoys.com.

Just wanted AL to know, it is actually trickling down to their pocketbook. :D

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom