The Aqualung Discussion [ Moved ]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have received a reply from Apeks to my query. They are part of the Aqualung group.

fairbanksdiver:
Oh man...that's even worse.

Well, now that I know it wasn't -my- fault that the thread got pulled, here's the document I posted just before the thread was yanked.

Let's get this thing edited into a final form, and get it out to the local shops.. Betcha Aqualung won't like this one bit.

Someone please offer criticism / suggetions if anything in my letter isn't truthful / accurate.

edit: Just made an update to the letter. It should be lawsuit proof now =p

-B.

That is a great letter man. Everybody should download a copy and mail. email and fax it to AL.

NetDoc:
Phil Ellis was threatened via Law Suit by Aire Liquide (Aqualung's parent company) for airing the truth about their relationship.

Well, now I have gone from a future customer to just plain pissed off. I thought their pricing double standard was a bit unfair, but not enough to keep me from buying AL from my LDS. However, THIS I WILL NOT TOLERATE. I am through with ANY product touched by this company.

Now I'm going to finish reading this new thread. I'll probably be even madder by then end.

FD

PS- AL just heard another cash register.... The one selling me Zeagle, or Oceanic gear!

Kim:
Before this all goes off on a tangent, the original issue was about an authorised dealer being able to make his own price with his customer - rather than have it dictated by the supplier. In other words letting the dealer make his own economic decisions, rather than tying him in knots so that he can't compete with whoever he wants.

I thought the tread was about AL's corruption. Forcing a dealer to sell at a certain price, then undercutting them with places like LP. I call it corporate greed. Now THIS thread is about how we should respond to a corrupt company, violating US anti-trust laws, then threating to sue someone out of existence for exposing them.

FD

fire_diver:
I thought the tread was about AL's corruption. Forcing a dealer to sell at a certain price, then undercutting them with places like LP. I call it corporate greed. Now THIS thread is about how we should respond to a corrupt company, violating US anti-trust laws, then threating to sue someone out of existence for exposing them.

FD

It is really about all of the above.

One of the posts I made in the thread that got canned
was about the LDS I used hang out at and help repair regulators.
The shop Owner was furious one day and this is why.

He ordered 2 AL regs from LP and had them shipped to his house.
He then went onto ALs website in the section reserved for dealers and tracked the serial numbers of the 2 regs he got. I should add that the regs were not bought at the same time.
AL's site indicated a dive shop in NYC, Not LP.
When he called about the regs pretending to be Joe customer he was told that those regs were acquired from an unauthorized dealer. no warranty.

AL contends that LP and the like get their supply from overseas. More like Cross-town.

I dont want to sound like a troll, or cause any problems but I have a question...

If the LDS's feel that they are being unfairly treated by AL and the like for price fixing and not doing their part to prevent their merchandise from entering the grey market, then why dont LDS just refuse to do business with AL?

I mean if I was a store owner and I was being bullied by a manufacturer, I would refuse to sell their product. There are a ton of other brands out there that dont practice this sort of strong arm business tactics. Im sure if enough LDS took up the cause Im sure AL would feel it where it matters the most: their bottom line. I wonder how much of their total sales come from the US? I bet it makes up a LARGE chunk of their profits.

It doesnt seem that AL is keeping up their part of the bargain with the LDS that are "authorized" dealers so as a LDS why continue to do business them?

(Again Im not trying to cause a flame war here, just genuinely interested in why a LDS would continue to do business with them?)

fire_diver:

FD
I think we are both looking at the same coin from slightly different perspectives...example: "have it dictated by a supplier" = "forcing a dealer to sell at a certain price". It's essentially the same thing and I believe we agree.

I also agree with what your take on this second thread is.

Because they have a lot of money tied up in the brand. Phil took a chance on it & lost his dealership agreement, so he's doing what you suggest & will handle other brands. But changing is costly.

NetDoc:
How do YOU feel about how Phil was treated? Did he get a fair shake? Is this threat of a law suit OK for Aire Liquide to pursue? Feel free to agree or disagree, but don't let ANYONE control the content of our conversations here on ScubaBoard. I've read our TOS and neither Aire Liquide's nor Aqualung's permission is needed for us to discuss HOW they do business.
I don't like how Phil was treated. Even more to the point, I take this response by Aire Liquide as a huge middle finger extended to the entire diving community.

In response I'll make sure that all the companies associated with this entity will not be receiving any more of my consumer dollars.

If they want to be stupid, that's their problem ... guess I won't be buying that ATX200 I had my eye on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom