The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 45 years old and my tattoo is a dolphin located near my navel. It gives me the chance to keep it covered at any time and display when I am having fun.Works well with jeans, shorts and swim suits. If it should get unsightly it is easy to cover.Good for you for wanting it where you can enjoy it, forget sexy. Do this for yourself and maybe the right person will consider it attractive,if not oh well, no harm done. One of my friends asked me if I realized where that dolphin would be when I'm eighty. Considering where it is , who cares ?

DA Aquamaster:
True, tattoos do go back thousands of years but in those cases they have had very deeply ingrained cultural significance and meaning. But that is not what we are talking about in this thread. What we are talking about amounts to recreational tattoos that just make a fashion statement and there is a hell of a differrence between that and a tattoo that means something within ones culture.

But hey, if you want one, knock yourself out. Just be aware that a large segment of society will continue to apply certain judgements or predjudices to the fact that you have a tattoo (as well as what you have and where you have it) and that there may be unwanted consequences down the road.

Having said they you are sort of in the ballpark with the wedding ring idea. The original wedding rings were designed with sharp edges that over time actually scarred the wearers finger so that even when removed it was still obvious the person was married.

You're sort of right. The most oft cited example of body marking and societal norms is the Maoris. You can say that there is "deeply ingrainted significance and meaning", until you consider how they get them. Some get their entire body done over a lifetime. Others get their entire body tattooed over the course of one to two days. So, even here, there are some that try and conform to a norm, and others that do it at their leisure. Considering all members of society weren't tattooed, nor was tattooing consistent across social or gender strata (not all males or females were tattooed, not all peasants were tattooed, etc), then it can be reduced to a choice rather than pressure.

Or, take the city-state of Uruk near Summaria. The priestly elite got them because it was "something to do". This was consistent in most near-East civilizations, as well.

So, I take back what I said. Tattooing is trendy. It's been trendy for roughly 6,000 years of recorded history. I'm sure it's on the way out.

As far as a large percentage of society holding something arbitrary against you, I sort of agree and sort of don't. If you get the spider tattoo that starts at the top of your bald scalp, with legs going down over your face to your neck...society might not invite you to the collective debutante ball. If you have a tattoo on your shoulder, your butt, your hip, or someother discreet place, if society is seeing these are a regular basis, you may have walked out of the house without any clothes on. I have found that those that judge you on your tattoo, are narrowminded enough to find something to judge you on, regardless of how hard you try.

In the ballpark on the ring idea, eh? Must be the collective unconscious telling me to do it! That, or a dread fear of having my ring fiinger "degloved" as I'm getting out of a helicopter. I didn't know that about the spiked rings, though.

Finally...on considering what you'll look like when you're eighty. If I'm not dead at 80, I will consider myself lucky, and will probably get another tattoo just to celebrate the occasion. Otherwise, I think, at 80, I will probably have lost most of this extra weight I'm carrying around. Along with the extra hair, skin and bodily organs. Ewwww...

I do repeat my main point, though. Get a tattoo for you, because it's you that has to live with it.

I never thought much of tattoos. Then I started thinking about something that really described me. After months of thinking about a tattoo, I finally decided it was what I wanted. I knew my boyfriend didn't think much of tattoos on women, but I didn't let that disway me.

So, I had a red maple leaf drawn up with the white dive strip through it and got it tattoed on the top of my right butt cheek! I absolutly love it and have no regrets. And my boyriend absolutly adores it! :)

Heeehee We are Crazy Cannuck Divers.. I have same tattoo.. on my left mid thigh Mine is outlined in black... our problem with that tattoo is that red and white are the two worst colors to get because the fade the fastest unless you take really good care of it.. .. Way to go Girl... my bf doesn't care I have it cause he has two himself....

I dont know about the red thing. I have two tats that are red (in places) and they are five years old, and two years old, and they still look good, with little or no fading...
However, the black parts need to be touched up...

I got my tattoo when I was 20 and still living at home. My mom saw me coming out of the shower one day and looked at me and said, "that's fake right". I told her it was...hee hee...but a couple months later it was still there and she gave me that look...I gave her a devilish grin and a shrug. she actually thinks it is cute now - it's a cupid sleeping on a cloud with arrows pointing toward my hip. Subtle, not really, but only a select few get to see it. :)
I designed it myself and have no regrets, and nearly 8 years later there is hardly any fading.

I am 44,and got my first Tat done this past Summer,A green sea turtle,on the outside of my right lower ankle.I took a year to think about what I wanted and where to put it. I am happy with its location. I also had it done while on vacation in the Grand Cayman Island.Very nice shop. I am going back this Summer and will get my 2nd Tattoo,On my lower back. I don't care who will like its location. Julie,its your body I say go for it,where ever you put it. After it heals, Sun block of spf 15 will keep it from fading. Let us know when you get it done. Turtle gal

LUBOLD8431:
I dont know about the red thing. I have two tats that are red (in places) and they are five years old, and two years old, and they still look good, with little or no fading...
However, the black parts need to be touched up...

That's just what my bf said to me.. said red and white were the two worst colors I could get.. but I think I will prove him wrong :) I use Vitamin E gel and it hasn't been in the sun yet cause I got it in October...so I think if I keep taking good care of it I shouldn't have a problem... Thanks

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and have so enjoyed reading various posts. I'm taking scuba starting next week and I'm so excited. That is why I started reading the posts just trying to see what diving is all about. I have friends that dive so that is what got me excited about learning.

About the tattoo subject. I've also been thinking recently about getting one on my lower back but afraid I would regret it later. I'm thinking instead of getting a naval piercing. At least if I don't like it I can take it out.

Looking forward to chatting more in the future when I'm more knowledgeable about diving.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom