The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, I don't know whether I am the minority here or just the silent majority but...I CAN'T STAND TATTOOS ON WOMEN!!! My last girlfriend had one and it was such a turn-off. Think before you ink, Julie!

Frank

Forget the Tattoo. Go for some face metal, higher shock value plus it can be more utalitarian. A large stainless D-ring in your nose can be an excellent place to clip your octo (or a backup bottom timer for those nervous Nitrox newbies)...

DrySuitDave:
The funniest tatoo I ever saw on a friend was a small caricature of a little guy using the old fashioned push style lawn mowers with the rotary helical blades mowing the side edge of her narrow landing stripe....the tatoo showed "grass" shooting off upwards and to the side....
LOL, Got any pictures?

That reminds of one I saw many moons ago at a ehhh.. performing arts establishment in Canada..ya thats it perfroming arts..., anyway it was a peach in the same area you describe with a bite out of the bottom, it faded away at the bottom also.

On the issue of quality, A guy I know has both of his arms tattoed with black jaguars prowling they run the full length. They were done in Koria many, many years ago. He is much older now and they still look pristine. The detail and quality of work was truely unbelievable. These things looked more like a picture than a tattoo.

FrankF:
Alright, I don't know whether I am the minority here or just the silent majority but...I CAN'T STAND TATTOOS ON WOMEN!!! My last girlfriend had one and it was such a turn-off. Think before you ink, Julie!

Well said Frank. A woman's skin is very pretty and very much a turn on, a tattoo isn't.

The tattoo trend will, like most other trends, pass while you will pretty much be stuck with the tattoo for life. Removing them is very expensive, less than perfect and can leave scars.

I have 2 tattoos. the first one was a dragon that I had drawn just for me to go on my right arm. the girl who was drawning it messed it up, however I still to this day don't regret getting it!! In fact I love it. It is just something to consider.the other one is a multi layered sun on my right shoulder(turned out perfect) You should also check how clean the tattoo shop is. Don't be afraid to ask questions to the tattoo artist. have them explain to you how they clean everything, and how to take care of the tattoo. also don't worry about how bad it hurts, after a few days the pain goes away!! ha ha ha :nervous: I like tatoos on women, I know it will look good and you will like it.
good luck on whatever you choose to do. :thumb:

Eric

Another consideration is using colors. Mine have only black line with no color. They will never fade or become the usual blob. As far as women and tattoos being unsexy...boys you all need to get out more. Almost like pin the tail...never mind.

I have two tattoos.

tattoo one
I got my first tattoo (moon and stars) about 7 years ago and it was something I considered for about a year before I went ahead. It is located on my left abdomen which, I have to confess has grown as the diet hasn't been going too well! I wanted my tattoo to be in a place that I could see every day but that no-one else would know about. Even when I wear a bikini you can't see it unless I show it to you. Also the reason I have it on my left is because my mother reminded me if I ever have to have my appendix removed they would have to cut right across my tattoo if I had it on the right, so worth considering if you go for the stomach area.

tattoo two
Last June I got my second tattoo. This one is of a stingray and is offset to the right at the bottom of my back (on the rump) I don't get to see it but my husband does and loves it. The great thing is, although I don't get to see mine everyday I can see a likeness as Washy had the same tattoo, larger and a different colour, put onto his left shoulder. We got them at the same time, had them designed for us after we dived with the stingrays in Grand Cayman and we love them. It was Washy's first tattoo and I wouldn't let him get one before then because he "kind of wanted a tattoo but didn't know what or where". I told him if he was that indecisive he wasn't ready for one. By the time he did get his tattoo he was ready and hadn't rushed into it.

As for why I decided to get tattoos - well, I've had a number of operations which have left me with some quite ugly scars. Whilst no-one else can see these I can and I wanted something pretty for me to look at instead.

As I mentioned above it is not something I rushed into and it is not something I let my husband rush into, or my mum for that matter. She came with me to get my tattoo and decided she wanted one too. I told her fine but she would have to wait until her 50th birthday and I would buy it for her so that gave her 3 years to think about it. On her 50th birthday she had an angel tattooed to her top left thigh, just below her knicker line. Only her and my dad can see it and she loves it. So, if you do decide to get a tattoo think about it carefully and don't rush into it. Hopefully if you go ahead you'll love yours as much as I love mine.

i've got a haida/polynesian killer whale on my right ankle. it is a black line drawing, so fading isnt a major priblem. it looks like it is jumping over the ankle bone :)
it is a symbol of the west coast[ where i live ] but got it done in a hut in tahiti, hence the polynesian flavor. easy to cover or show, and didnt hurt much :)

interesting, but not many. The black Polynesian type designs are typically the most appealing IMO. Seen enough me-too barbed-wire arm bands... particularly dislike something trivial (saw a red-eyed housefly on one guy..??), 'commercial' (Disney icon, etc.), or gaudy colors...

I have a large (6' 6", 255 lbs) friend who has a detailed 3-masted ship on his chest...totally fits his 'swashbuckling' personality. He said the area over his sternum hurt like a beatch....

There's very little chance I'd ever get one, but it would have an oceanic theme if I did...probably a shark.

My next will probably be a Shark on my lower back.. but I am also thinking of getting my naval peirced Next month..?? Anyone know if I should wait to dive if I am diving drysuit if I get it done???

Back
Top Bottom