The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my Scuba Frog a month ago. I got it on the side of my right leg about halfway between my ankle and knee. The artwork is great. The pain was bearable. As for the lower back...I have this friend...you know who you are...who just got a mermaid on her lower back and the pain level was quite a bit higher. Just more info for you!!

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:froggy:

My Bosses daughter has a sun rise coming out from her rear beltline shall we say.

When asked about it she says that every one always tells her that she thinks the sun shines out of her ass and this just proves it

...but tattooing and body-marking go back several thousand years. I think the world gets hung up on the "Oh, these gaudy people, following their trends and being trendy with their trendiness...." type of mindset. Hey, live a little. Get a tattoo. Get a bunch. Get them where no one can see them, or get them where the whole world can see them. People that say they don't do something because it's trendy are the ones that are worried, not only about what people think about NOW, but what people are going to think about them 5, 10 or 20 years down the road! WOW! That's a lot of worrying!

"Oh, you'll never be able to live with yourself if you get one and they become un-trendy...". Sure you will. If I couldn't live with myself over half the things I had been told I wouldn't be able to live with myself for, I'd be dead a dozen times over.

So, I say, if you're going to get one, you're probably doing it for yourself. If you're not, you should ask yourself why not. If you can say, "Because I don't like them and I just don't want one.", then that's the one and only reason you should give. If it's, "It's trendy now, but it won't be", or, "People think people with tattoos are so low-class.", you're hung up on other people's impressions of you.

Anyway, my next tattoo was going to be a dragon, done in the Chinese style. However, found out yesterday that I'm leaving for the big sandbox. So, I'm going out next week to have my wedding rings tattooed on my finger. And I'll say this. I'm doing it for me, but I'm doing it so my wife knows I'll be thinking about her. The only person's opinion that matters to me.

Y'all get to diving for me.

True, tattoos do go back thousands of years but in those cases they have had very deeply ingrained cultural significance and meaning. But that is not what we are talking about in this thread. What we are talking about amounts to recreational tattoos that just make a fashion statement and there is a hell of a differrence between that and a tattoo that means something within ones culture.

But hey, if you want one, knock yourself out. Just be aware that a large segment of society will continue to apply certain judgements or predjudices to the fact that you have a tattoo (as well as what you have and where you have it) and that there may be unwanted consequences down the road.

Having said they you are sort of in the ballpark with the wedding ring idea. The original wedding rings were designed with sharp edges that over time actually scarred the wearers finger so that even when removed it was still obvious the person was married.

One of my daughter's friends has a tattoo on his, um, rear. The funny part of it is that it says "your name". Honestly. The way he explained it was that after he has been seeing a girl for a while, he can use the line "Hey, I have your name tattooed on my a%&."

This kid is a happy-go-lucky free spirit, and his tattoo matches his personality perfectly :biggrin:!

Julie, just think. What will it look like when you are 80? Then, do what you like. I personally non't think much of tattoos, but each to her/his own.

Firediver:
My next will probably be a Shark on my lower back.. but I am also thinking of getting my naval peirced Next month..?? Anyone know if I should wait to dive if I am diving drysuit if I get it done???

Hi Firediver.... my naval is pierced and I never had any problems with diving. Initially, you do need to be careful with tight pants that rub against it like jeans. Since the drysuit and fleece are not form fitting they should not be an issue...I love my piercing. Good luck with it!

As for tattoos, I'd never get one done and I generally don't like them on other woman, although there have been exceptions. They are usually feminine designs on “young” lower backs, just peeking out over a pant or bikini line.

I have 2 rather large tattoos on my left leg. All black and no details. That way, even over time, they will still be recognisable. Colors look nice but will eventually fade.

My advice would be to pick a design, put it away for a few months. If you still like it when you see it again, have it done. Also, pick a spot where you can hide it from the sun and your co-workers.

Marebythesea:
Hi Firediver.... my naval is pierced and I never had any problems with diving. Initially, you do need to be careful with tight pants that rub against it like jeans. Since the drysuit and fleece are not form fitting they should not be an issue...I love my piercing. Good luck with it!

As for tattoos, I'd never get one done and I generally don't like them on other woman, although there have been exceptions. They are usually feminine designs on “young” lower backs, just peeking out over a pant or bikini line.

Thanks.. i will be waiting a year cause I am still indecisive about it.. but also don't hav the funds. This would be my first piercing. I don't even have my ears done YET.. cause I played a lot of sports growing up and was always worried about having them torn out. Thanks for the info once again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom