The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
Well spoken...but...I don't see how you can dismiss the Torah as "unrecorded history"...we have extant scrolls from the caves of the Quemeron (sp.) community dating to the first century...which gives us a "recorded" historical record of...oh...two thousand years. Also...the recorded Egyptian history indicates tattoos in numerous places as well. Good fun though. :D

[http://www.egyptmonth.com/mag11012000/mag4.htm

In the West, tattooing is most often associated with Polynesia because it was from there that the custom was most dramatically reintroduced to industrialized nations. However, the earliest documented evidence for the tattoo is in Egypt. Although most anthropologists believe that the eventually almost universal tradition emerged separately and individually among different cultures, those who prefer single origin theories find various convoluted routes to explain how tattooing arrived in Samoa from Egypt. Be that as it may, Egypt is generally accepted as the cradle of tattoo art as it is of so many other arts, although recent research indicates that tattooing may have actually entered Egyptian culture via Nubian influence. By the Middle Kingdom, in any event, tattoos seem to have been popular and culturally acceptable.

The earliest intimations of tattoos come from clay figurines dating to roughly 4000BCE. These female figurines are decorated with dots, dashes and lozenges. This was inconclusive evidence until the discovery and examination of preserved, mummified bodies, whose body designs closely echo the patterns etched on the figurines.

Among the best-preserved mummies is that of a woman from Thebes from Dynasty XI (2160-1994 BCE), whose tomb identifies her as Amunet, Priestess of Hathor. Sometimes described as a concubine of Mentuhotep II, tattoo patterns remain clearly visible on her flesh. No amulet designs for Amunet. Instead, she bore parallel lines on her arms and thighs and an elliptical pattern below the navel in the pelvic region. ]

I dont have a tatoo (because I chickened out when my college friends got them), but they got them on the top of their foot. We were told that it is one of the more painful spots but it can be covered with socks or if you figure out where your flip flop strap lies on your foot you can put it under there. Draw it yourself or have a friend draw it for you...it makes for better conversation.

My tattoo is on my foot...a little painful since that is a spot with no fat on it! I can show it off or cover it up. I work at a bank and no one would know unless I told them.

...if it's what you want to do. This should seem like a self-intuitive statement. My second tattoo was something my wife designed to go around my Marine Corps tattoo. It's unique, it requires explanation (if and when people see it...on the shoulder blade...so only if I'm in the pool). And it's something from my wife's artistic genius, so that's always a source of pride.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into actually getting one. Doesn't sound like a snap decision. But, I agree...it's permanent. I never look at my tattoos and say, "Man...why did I do that?" For that reason, get it someplace that you can see it, but you're not staring at it every time you look in a mirror.

I have been doing tattoos for almost 20 years and where you get a tattoo is up to you. Its your body and the decision is yours. Over the years I have talked people out of getting tattoos if I felt they were not really sure they wanted to get one. If they are I support whatever they decide, because In the End it is your body and any type of body modification is a personal choice and the only person you need to answer too is the one in the mirror. Good luck with whatever you decide

Julie...ankle. Lower back is for shall I say ladies of ill reput? Definatly NOT a bad thing. Just a Navy opinion anyway...

i got a tattoo when i was 18 and had to get it in an area where my parents wouldn't notice. I was also a competitive swimmer. So location limited i got it just below the suit line on my lower back. (AKA not really the ass but sort of) Now that i look back on it, I am happy i got it in an inconspicous local because I dont really like the tattoo any more.

LUBOLD8431:
............ The one thing I learned is to NEVER put anyone's name on you. That is just bad mojo. ...

It hasn't been bad mojo for my wife!! 25 years ago a woman I had been living with for a week had my nickname tattooed on her. 10 years later we married (after 10 years I figured she'd work out) :winky: We just celebrated 15 years married and 25yrs together!!

I'm sure we're the exeption rather than the rule!!

In most cases I agree, no names. Kids and Grandkids are the exeption, they'll always be yours.
No faces or hands. but there's exeptions to that too.
I had a freind who had a rose tattooed on his earlobe. His wifes name was Rose. He thought of getting it somplace else and saying Rose was always on his ***.Now he says she always has his ear.

Julie, Get it someplace you don't mind showing, because we want to see pics!!

My wife has some Tattoos that others see. All of them are easily hidden. Then she has some that have only been seen by two men, me and the guy that did them!

Wow this is a popular thread. Anyway I am a female and I have a tattoo on my lower back. It does suck that I don't get to see it but I wouldn't put it anywhere else. This way you can tell and show only the people you want to. I'm a pisces and a shark lover, so instead of the fish I switched it to sharks with a circle around designed like waves. I LOVE IT! I don't care what other people think it fits me! Anyway whatever you do don't go swimming for the 2 weeks they recommend. I did and I already need it recolored and it's only been a little over a year.

To anyone thinking of getting Tattooed. Don't look for bargains. As a good freind of mine was fond of saying.......

"A good Tattoo ain't cheap, and a cheap Tattoo ain't good!" :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom