The Abyss - flim location in SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
... of the Directors Cut version. Much better than the Thaearical release.
Yeah, its kinda weird after things you read in the book show up in the director's cut. I guess Card was shown this version back in the late '80's. The rest of us had to wait another ten years.

archman:
A lot of the diving technology used in the Abyss was developed specifically for the movie, and made its way into commercial use. The hardhats in particular were made to show the actors' faces more clearly than those already existing in commercial diving. The submersibles were also constructed for the movie, especially the big one. Cameron wanted an "underwater truck".

how about the oxygenated fluid, is that a reality yet
will it be

rubbachicken:
how about the oxygenated fluid, is that a reality yet
will it be
The U.S. Navy fiddled around with it 30 years ago, which is probably where Cameron got the idea. I believe there were too many problems with human physiology to make use of it, and anyways, we have those fancy NEWT (or however its spelled) suits now.

archman:
The U.S. Navy fiddled around with it 30 years ago, which is probably where Cameron got the idea. I believe there were too many problems with human physiology to make use of it, and anyways, we have those fancy NEWT (or however its spelled) suits now.

what are these "newt" suits

Yeah I love this move. But i gotta admit- the Special addition DVD featurettes are soo cool i find myself watching those more often than the movie! Definitely one of my all time favorites. I keep hereing rumors Cameron wants to do another big under sea adventure and that he had something in the early stages of development. anyone else heard anything?

I'm gonna go look for the new DVD of the Abyss!

Does anyone else out there have the latest edition of "Wired" magazine with James Cameron on the cover?

It's a special issue with Cameron as the guest editor... all about exploration, under the waves and out in space! Check it out!

the liquid they "breathed" in the movie was a HOFC or Hyper Oxegenated Fluro Carbon.. I was told that the navy had tested it on a diver but the FDA only permitted its use on one side of the lung, but aparently the rat scene was for real..

The physiological probems are the density of the liquid and the bodys inability to physically pump it. Also, removal from the lungs was a problem back then, but as someone pointed out its use is entering the medical field now, so one day...one day, we might see it in diving, you never know and I dont think it will be soon.

My favorite scenes were when the Commando flips out from HPNS..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom