The Abyss - flim location in SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkmoon3d

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is anyone as big of a fan of the movie "The Abyss" as I am? The film was shot in an incomplete Nuclear Reactor in SC - Cherokee Nuclear Power Plant, Gaffney, South Carolina, USA. Practically all of the underwater sequences were shot 40-60 ft underwater within the reactor chamber (filled with water).

The sets were built at bottom of tank and includes ocean bottom, sunken sub, and interior to underwater habitat. Plastic beads were floated on surface of tank to block out sunlight. This was used to simulate the darkened ocean floor 2000 ft down.

Have a question (perhaps anyone in SC might know answer). After the production the Nuclear Reactor was closed down and the sets were left within facility. Wouldn't it have been really cool if this were sold or somehow opened up to recreational divers? Perhaps the navy or commercial divers could have even used it for practice or training.

There were a couple TV specials about this, and there's a great deal of information online about the filming. The underwater sequences from the upcoming movie "Life Aquatic" are also filmed entirely in a tank, but changed around to simulate different environments and depths.

A lot of the diving technology used in the Abyss was developed specifically for the movie, and made its way into commercial use. The hardhats in particular were made to show the actors' faces more clearly than those already existing in commercial diving. The submersibles were also constructed for the movie, especially the big one. Cameron wanted an "underwater truck".

archman:
The hardhats in particular were made to show the actors' faces more clearly than those already existing in commercial diving.

Yeah, but I heard that the actors couldn't see anything with the lights shining in thier faces. Did this really find their way in to commercial use?

I suggest everyone rent the DVD and look through the features. The work and dedication that went into this movie - both by the crew as well as the actors - is amazing.

Awesome movie....Bought the DVD set....Then again anything that deals with the deep is an awesome movie

I'm a big fan ... both the movie and the book. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, but this is one of those rare cases where I think the movie outdoes the book.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fantastic movie-
just as well its on my dvd, the vhs version was worn out :D

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm a big fan ... both the movie and the book. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, but this is one of those rare cases where I think the movie outdoes the book.
Card was specifically contracted to make a book from the movie, rather than the other way around. He added a great deal of plot material, to better understand the characters.

If you don't have the DVD and your a fan of this movie you should definatly go out and get it. It is filled with all sorts of extras about the filming and making of the movie and all kinds of info about the tank and the preperation and the construction and technology that went into making this movie. Incidentally, James Cameron is an avid diver and revealed that the main reason he made the movie Titanic was so that he could go explore the Titanic himself. Maybe that is why he just finished his latest IMAX 3D film Aliens of the Abyss. I mean, Jesus that man owns his own deep submersible sub!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom