thanks Scubaboard and DAN (coral sting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggs_the

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
with a little bit of searching, I was able to come up with several discussions on coral stings and links to DAN's FAQs here at Scubaboard.

I have pretty good buoyancy and control and I stay away from coral most of the time, but last week in Cozumel the currents were ripping and I think my DM had a little TOO much confidence in me. We were heading thru some swim thrus when we got to one that was a little tight, but my alternative to abort would have sent me crashing into a wall or shoot straight up 15-20 feet to go over. Funny enough, I made the turn into the swim thru, but the current whipped around and shoved me into the wall anyway. I felt it coming in enough time to turn my back and only the smallest piece of me (about the size of a silver dollar) on my arm lightly brushed it. i felt a small tingle and after the dive, it tingled maybe half an hour to 45 minutes. It didnt hurt... just almost itched. And then it was over.

A week and two days later, I wake up with weird bumps that are gradually itching more and more. I laughingly told my dive buddy that I was having a delayed reaction to the coral. Come to find out, that's pretty common.

Thanks to all for the postings and DAN referals. I can start with my own home remedy and have something to tell a doctor if it should get to that point.

Glad you found help here. Thought I had one once, but it was something else. Good luck on recovery...

maggs_the:
with a little bit of searching, I was able to come up with several discussions on coral stings and links to DAN's FAQs here at Scubaboard....

Thanks to all for the postings and DAN referals. I can start with my own home remedy and have something to tell a doctor if it should get to that point...

White vinegar the first day.. reapplied with cotton balls all day. Helped relieve the itch.

Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinegar the second day applied a few times in the morning before work, then Aveno 1% Hydrocortisone anti-itch cream with oat flour during the day at work.

Gauze soaked in peroxide and vinegar when I got home all the way up to bedtime.

Day 3.. much much better.. still there, still whelpy but not nearly as bothersome.. did my peroxide and vinegar soak while getting ready for work and applied my aveno and am good to go

Back
Top Bottom