How to deal with the “coral breaker”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please, don't throw poor guy's camera overboard. Then, 1) you are littering and 2) he'll just get a new one 3) you'll be the bad guy in the story.

Oh, I don't think I need to say this, but please don't start an underwater knife fight with him either :)

If you want to actually change his behavior you'll have to have a pretty uncomfortable conversation. The hard but crucial part is avoiding triggering the fight or flight response in him. So if you start with "WTF, dude you're breaking all the coral" or "your buoyancy sucks, you need to improve it" you've lost already.

You need to determine the root case. Does he a) not know he's doing it because he's a new diver and lacks awareness or b) knows but doesn't care.

If a) you need to make him aware without making him feel ashamed. Mention that you've done it too (like you did in the OP). Maybe give him buoyancy tips. 🤷‍♂️

If b) You can tell him how long it takes for corals to grow, how if he keeps breaking them, there won't be any cool dive sites soon. Suggest ways for him to take pictures in a safer way. I'm not a photographer so I don't know how people do it in current. One total guess is using a reef hook. Would that be a good idea?

Don't make him feel like the bad guy, empathize with him, figure out why he's doing it and find a way to get him to get what he wants without breaking all the coral for the rest of us.

Good luck! If you can make him actually change his behavior the impact is a lot bigger than just him. Think of all other people in the future who'll see him and think what he's doing is ok.
I agree with this type of approach, and would add perhaps offer a suggestion on how he can continue to take images in a more challenging drift situation (where it's difficult to stay in one place to take a still picture)-- try making videos! it's a great alternative when conditions are challenging for still photos (like strong current/drift dives). I realize lighting is different if you're set up for strobes and photos, but it could remove the urge to hold on to the coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom