How to deal with the “coral breaker”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep it simple. It's their home and I try to be a respectful house guest. Not me:

1412281709058_wps_20_Vandals_damaged_a_piece_o.jpg

Ugh…. In my original post, I said I got pissed after I noticed him doing it a few times and then went over and directly told him to get off the coral. I DID do something. Also, I am not the “police of the ocean” and therefore didn’t run over to him on his first infraction. It was kind of an evolution into an under water confrontation after his blatant disregard fir the coral. And now, eight pages later, I am just confirming that the way I handled it originally is the way I will most likely handle it in the future.
Just wanted to hear other people’s opinion and have a conversation about it, no big deal.
In all fairness you did not get on the boat before him grab an oar and beat him over the head while he was trying to get back on the boat yelling "This is what you're doing to the reef! This is what you're doing to the reef!"

We must remember the most important part of communication is that what is heard matches of what is intended. Had you done this, I think you would have communicated successfully.. :p

Edit: was I successful in creating an image of this happening? :p

Try this, if you don’t want to do the BFK.

get a very powerful light and point it right where he’s taking the picture, keep doing it and shrug when he looks, back on the boat when he confronts you for ruining his shots explain that you felt he must have been caught or in some other distress since he was laying right on the coral and kicking bits off, heart trouble? Stoke? Explain against his protest that you’ve seen this sort of thing in “experienced” divers when an air bubble gets in their brain but not to worry you’ll be keeping envy on him for his own safety and will come check on him any time he seems to be in trouble…

I am typically fine with blatant confrontation........ but after reading this thread and thinking about how I would have actually handled this situation...... I think my first move would be to approach this person back on the boat and as privately as possible...... take a shot at quietly explaining my position and opinon in a way that might actually get him thinking.....without being publicly chastised. No man, or woman..... I know.... is going to react well to being publicly called out. It just becomes a matter of pride and usually no benefit comes from it.

My private approach would be something like this:

" Hey brother...... I know you don't know me from Adam...but please hear me out. On that last dive I noticed while you were focused on your camera, you also were having some buoyancy issues and were damaging a lot of coral with your fins. Not even sure you were aware of it...... but it really saddens me whenever I see that because these animals that I love are delicate and hundreds of years old and even the slightest touch can damage them forever. Did you know that these corals are animals? Anyway...just hoping that you might please consider being more careful. I'd personally really appreciate it and I know that the animals would. "

Now to be honest.....after that...... if the dude just blew me off or was defiant and told me it was none of my business......then it would then be "game-on" and I would make it my business and it would not be pleasant for him.

Thing I don't get is this... if someone loves the hobby enough to want to get every picture possible, how can they be oblivious to doing damage to the very thing they love? Or a different question, if someone loves the hobby enough to want to get every picture possible, how can they not give a crap about damaging the things that make diving great? Seriously, I don't see a viable answer to either question. Hell, I am hypersensitive to my fin grazing the edge of a rock in a tight swim through, and that's not even coral.

Thing I don't get is this... if someone loves the hobby enough to want to get every picture possible, how can they be oblivious to doing damage to the very thing they love? Or a different question, if someone loves the hobby enough to want to get every picture possible, how can they not give a crap about damaging the things that make diving great? Seriously, I don't see a viable answer to either question. Hell, I am hypersensitive to my fin grazing the edge of a rock in a tight swim through, and that's not even coral.
I think most of us feel this way. But not everyone.
1688414380335.png

LOL ironic you posted that GIF because usually, the same people who trash the coral to get a shot are the same ones who kick me in the head getting to said shot.

Once they got their pic, screw everybody else.

Great attitude.

Probably someone who does not care about others

This is the July 4th weekend, go down to the closest boat launch ramp and observe humanity for a little while, it’s best to avoid engaging with people in the wild.
Where I live, we solved the "bad behavior" problem at our boat ramp on major holiday weekends by positioning a Constable in the middle of the ramp to solve those kinds of issues. It's amazing what the presence of a LEO can do to increase the level of cooperation and courtesy. In addition there are often a group of locals, sitting on the side of the ramp with signs, grading the performance and courtesy of boaters launching and recovering their boats, with signs ranging from 1-10, plus "A**hole."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom