thanks for the replies to dutch springs but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadydiver

Reaction score
OWC this weekend at Dutch springs...
Now I am picturing myself as a 60' deep popsicle in a 7mm farmer john, hood, and gloves. Should I wear something under my 7mm, ie body skin or something?? Surface temp is going to be around 60 degress this weekend at dutch springs so I'm thinking the first thermocline temp change is going to go down to at least a brisk 50 or lower. Do you require training to wear a dry suit? Should I do my owc in one if I don't have to train, I think I can borrow/rent one from my LDS that I am taking the course through. Any replies greatly appreciated..

One more quick one, my LDS is interested in bartering, (I own a business), for a bc and a reg. I think I want a backpack style bc based on the full vest style that I have been using in class. I didn't like the pressure that the full vest put on my sides. I totally trust my instructor, and he will give me the style that I want, but I have read that the backpack style tends to put you in a nose down position. Any input or is it simly personal preference?

Thanks again, Shady

You do need training to dive in a dry suit. Your LDS should be able to offer it, but you also need a pool session in one before going in open water with it (not sure if they'll be able to accomodate on this short notice). Also not sure I'd want to dive Dutch Springs this time of year in a wet suit. If you can't do the dry suit pool session this week, can you reschedule your ow dives?

As far as the back inflate bc's, they're great! Other than ow class, that's all we have ever dived with. See if your lds will let you try one out in a pool.

Divaholics:
You do need training to dive in a dry suit. Your LDS should be able to offer it, but you also need a pool session in one before going in open water with it (not sure if they'll be able to accomodate on this short notice). Also not sure I'd want to dive Dutch Springs this time of year in a wet suit. If you can't do the dry suit pool session this week, can you reschedule your ow dives?

As far as the back inflate bc's, they're great! Other than ow class, that's all we have ever dived with. See if your lds will let you try one out in a pool.

I guess I shall have my first harsh conditions diving experience this weekend, just talked to my dive buddy in my class and she said that she already asked our instructor about the dry suit and it is not possible for this weekend.. I'm ex-infantry so I guess it's back to the days of suck it up and drive on,, will post on monday of the experience.

Shady

You won't be cold at the bottom, you'll be cold on the surface..

I just did my AOW at Dutch two weeks ago, and my OW two weeks before that. I was very comfortable in my 7mm. The surface is what gets you.

Just saw on the news that the temp in Dutch Springs area is ranging in the 20s and 30s. BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Bring lots of wood for the bonfire!

We'll be diving Dutch Springs on New Year's Eve, but we'll be diving dry. Even so, we wish we were diving full face masks, too!

Take along something to wear over your wetsuit to block the wind. A Goretex rainsuit works wonders but anything that keeps the wind off of you will work. You can also take along a couple gallons of warm water, put the jugs in a cooler and wrap them with towels to help keep them warm and if you have to drive very far fill them with hot water so they'll still be warm when you get ready to dive. You can fill your suit with the warm water before the dive so you don't get a suit full of cold water once you get in. You can also put some of the water in the cooler and place your hood and gloves in it between dives so you don't have to pull on slimy cold neoprene. I wear expedition weight Duofold long underwear under my wetsuit and it seems to help wick the water away and provide a little more thermal protection. I also wear a pair of warm glove liners under my gloves and a snug fitting fleece cap under my hood (the kind that has a string that goes under your chin. If you can manage with a pair of three-fingered dive mitts use them they are a lot warmer than 5 fingered gloves. If you keep your head and hands warm during and between the dives and keep the wind off of you during the surface interval you will be a very happy camper. A tent and a tent heater might not be a bad idea either but you don't want to get too warm between dives or the water feels twice as cold. I always carry a winter hat and mittens with me for the surface intervals then peel down the top of my wetsuit and put on several layers of fleece with a windproof layer on the outside (top and bottom).

I have students diving Nov. 13/14 and Nov. 20/21 at Gilboa in Ohio and the temperature is supposed to be 17 degrees the night of the 13th so Sunday morning's dive is going to be a bit chilly.

Just remember if you see "smoke" coming off of the water it means the water is warmer than the air so that's where you want to be :)

BTW, I'm a skinny chick and 50 degrees is a nice temp in a wetsuit, there may not be much difference between the surface and bottom temp now that the water is cooling off.

Good luck with your dives!
Ber :lilbunny:

A 2pc 7mm suit with hood and gloves should be fine. I would suggest changing in the heated changing room. Between dives ask your instructor if there is enough time. If there is, change into dry warm cloths. The trick this time of year is to keep from getting that bone chilling feeling. You can accomplish this by staying "dry" and "warm" between dives. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, bring a long jacket or something to wrap around you, plus a hat and gloves. Keep in mind that your instructor is a professional and will do everything possible to keep the divers comfortable and the experience a good one.
Good luck, have fun and welcome to the world of SCUBA

shadydiver:
OWC this weekend at Dutch springs...
Now I am picturing myself as a 60' deep popsicle in a 7mm farmer john, hood, and gloves. Should I wear something under my 7mm, ie body skin or something?? Surface temp is going to be around 60 degress this weekend at dutch springs so I'm thinking the first thermocline temp change is going to go down to at least a brisk 50 or lower. Do you require training to wear a dry suit? Should I do my owc in one if I don't have to train, I think I can borrow/rent one from my LDS that I am taking the course through. Any replies greatly appreciated..

One more quick one, my LDS is interested in bartering, (I own a business), for a bc and a reg. I think I want a backpack style bc based on the full vest style that I have been using in class. I didn't like the pressure that the full vest put on my sides. I totally trust my instructor, and he will give me the style that I want, but I have read that the backpack style tends to put you in a nose down position. Any input or is it simly personal preference?

if the surface temp is 60 then the temp at the first thermocline will probably be around 56, and at 50 feet it should be around 51...thats what it was when i went in earlly may, and supposedly the warmer is colder in may then now. it really isnt that bad, i didnt even feel the water on me except for my lips and i was wearing the same thing you will be wearing. youll be fine in a wetsuit, but for when you get out of the water bring something really really warm to rap yourself in when you get out, because that was the bad part, not being in the water. most liklely you wont even notice the cold since youll be moving around a lot. suck it up man. youll be fine.

hey shady, i'm just starting my OW class this weekend, and live the same area as you (Minotola)...just wondering which LDS you used and how they were. let us know how you made out in Dutch Springs too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom