Thanks a lot Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you visiting? Just Coron, or hitting a few places?

I'm headed out to Tubbataha for a week, get off then head to El Nido for 2 days of beach hopping on a private bangka then go on a 4 day safari from El Nido to Coron. We get off in Coron and fly back to Manila for Puerto Galera for 6 nights of diving there..then home!

I love my Perdix. It was a lot of money but I enjoy it tremendously and hope you do the same.

My partner and I completed our Nitrox certs this weekend in preparation for heading off to the Philippines in a couple of weeks (Donsol/Ticao, Malapascua & Coron).

Gotta love the OZ premium on ... almost everything. Don't forget to get your GST back when you fly :)

For those querying pricing:

The OP's original post was regarding the Eon core, this is a less expensive version of the Eon Steel (basically different case)

In some markets the Steel and the Perdix with a single transmitter each are the same cost (or near enough to make no difference) Thus the Core will be cheaper. However in other market places, this will not be the case

The Suunto computers use an algorithm that they will not explain to anyone but we know is based on (probably modified) RGBM, which has been proven to be inefficient and in need of calibration.

Aside from the fact that modern Suunto computers are plagued with technical issues like faulty pressure traducers and Suunto itself has gone from one of the best (20 years ago) to one of the worst (today) companies in terms of customer support.... the choice to buy a Suunto ... for you body ... for their customer support ... and for the technical robustness of their gear, is ... well ... unwise at best.
R..

Rob, I think you're being a little overly dramatic and somewhat disingenuous with this post. However you are entitled to your opinions, and I respect that.

Even though the OP has made their choice, I'm going to post this for balance.

I've used an Eon Steel since they were first introduced, as does my wife and I know of 7 others in my circle of divers who use them significantly. By significant I mean around 100 dives per year.

My and my wife's computer each have around 500 dives logged on them.

We use ours for dives up to 50m with Air, Ean and O2 mixes upto 80%. Deco times really no greater than 10 - 15 minutes.

So as a recreational computer (and I don't class what we do as technical, even though I appreciate PADI's delineation between Rec and Tech) Its fine. The limitations of RGMB don't really come into play.

I've dived it a few times with a Perdix on my wrist out of interest, and with the Eon set to -2 and Perdix set to Low conservatism in Rec mode, the Eon gives a marginally longer NDL, but given its only 60 - 90 seconds we'll call that a draw. I've used them both of a couple of days of multiple dives.

I've never felt the NDL's on repetitive daily dives have been overly restrictive, unless you have a short SI. I pretty much dive on the mid point conservatism and have 1 hours dives although unless on vacation chose only to do 3 dives a day, but all will have a max depth (site permitting) of 30m or slightly more) Sometimes depending on a number of factors I'll move to -2 other times I'll go to +1 or +2

Regarding reliability, I've had a pressure sensor fail. I'm the only one out of my circle to have an issue. Likewise we've had issues with battery life on the transmitters. Further investigation by us and Suunto points at our climate, in that for a great part of the year on dive boats the temperature is above 40C in the shade. Above the recommended for the battery. Annoying yes, but given that here a car battery only lasts for 18 months or 2 years if you're really lucky, I an live with that especially as Suunto have never charged my for a battery replacement.

Shearwater of course does have legendary customer service, indeed should be seen as the industry best practice. Outside of the US you obviously have to return the product to the nearest authorised for maintenance dealer. Suunto's help from their website is less than stella. There are ways around that of course. But that said I don't find them any worse than most other big organisations - but they still have room for improvement

For me and Shearwater that would be to the UK via international shipping, so not entirely conviennent (the same would be said of OSTC though) Whereas here we have a Suunto service centre where I can get while you wait service

Out of the Two the Eon & core has by far the better display and means to customise that display to your preference. Yes there are small items on the Suunto software I'd personally like to see improved, but then there are things on the Perdix which I don't' like - but these are all a personal preference.

I think Suunto and other RGBM computers get a hard time on SB, often people regurgitate something they hear or read with little experience themselves (not accusing Rob of this).

At the end of the day, I don't care what computer people buy, everyone has different needs, preferences and even levels of mooney they're prepared (or can afford) to spend.

The point of this post was to add a balanced opinion to this thread from an actual user, so that others reading in the future can make an informed judgement.

Safe diving to all

I'm headed out to Tubbataha for a week, get off then head to El Nido for 2 days of beach hopping on a private bangka then go on a 4 day safari from El Nido to Coron. We get off in Coron and fly back to Manila for Puerto Galera for 6 nights of diving there..then home!
Wow. Sounds like an awesome trip. Hope you have a great time.

I got one in January, it was advertised on the Shearwater site for $1525 Canadian and I paid $1525 Australian. (With transmitter)
They're asking $1,649.00 for a perdix with transmitter in the USA.

I guess it would be cheaper for us to exchange money into CAD and find a way to buy it and get it shipped. $1525CAD = $1,209.26USD according to google. Heck of a savings if the logistics could be worked out. I'm sure a lot could be worked out with $439.74 in incentives.

Back
Top Bottom