Thanks a lot Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oz Chris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My partner and I completed our Nitrox certs this weekend in preparation for heading off to the Philippines in a couple of weeks (Donsol/Ticao, Malapascua & Coron).

They didn’t have a Nitrox capable computer, so I lent them my Suunto Vyper and used the Zoop in my console for the course.

On the drive home we were talking about what they were going to do about computers for the trip, and somehow the conclusion ended up being that I should buy myself a new computer, and hand them down my Vyper ... hmmm.

Anyway, come Easter Monday I’m standing in the dive shop with a Suunto Eon Core and a Perdix AI on the counter trying to decide what to buy.

And all I can think about is the voice of Scubaboard in my head yelling “buy the Perdix; Buhlman good, RGBM bad, you know you should buy the Perdix”.

So after coming up with a few internal justifications - eg. no bungee kit with the Core, paying for factory battery replacements on the Core, etc etc, I purchased the Perdix.

However, for those of you in the US who always note that Shearwater is cheaper, that’s not true here in Australia. The Perdix is $400 more expensive!

So yeah, thanks a lot Scubaboard :)

Don’t blame us in the US for the Perdix price. Blame the AUD exhange rate with the Canadian dollar since Shearwaters are made in Canada! :)

You will love it!

However, for those of you in the US who always note that Shearwater is cheaper, that’s not true here in Australia. The Perdix is $400 more expensive!

What price are you willing to put on your body?

The Suunto computers use an algorithm that they will not explain to anyone but we know is based on (probably modified) RGBM, which has been proven to be inefficient and in need of calibration.

Aside from the fact that modern Suunto computers are plagued with technical issues like faulty pressure traducers and Suunto itself has gone from one of the best (20 years ago) to one of the worst (today) companies in terms of customer support.... the choice to buy a Suunto ... for you body ... for their customer support ... and for the technical robustness of their gear, is ... well ... unwise at best.

You made the right decision.

That said, if you're not deco diving then the dodgy algorithm probably doesn't matter but then again, if you're not deco diving then you probably need something simple and not a sophisticated computer capable of calculating the most extreme dives with all kinds of gasses.

Either way, you've bought a good computer.

R..

And for recreational diving, there is nothing like the Perdix screen in rec mode. It is clean, organized and easy to read. You won't be sorry.

I'm surprised it's so much more. The price we pay in the US is already the "export" price as Shearwater computers are from Canada. For some reason $100 sticks out in my mind as the amount we pay over what the Canadians pay. I'm probably wrong since I didn't bother to look it up.

Enjoy your new computer!

Last edited:
Someone in the UK told me what he paid was roughly equivalent to the US cost.

So yeah, thanks a lot Scubaboard :)

You are welcome. The members of Scubaboard take great pride in helping others spend their money on toys. Especially when they are expensive but worth it.

You are welcome. The members of Scubaboard take great pride in helping others spend their money on toys. Especially when they are expensive but worth it.
The only thing better than spending money on toys is spending someone else's money on toys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom