Perdix 2 on Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mspryn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I've been using the Suunto Vyper Novo for shore dives for about a year, and I'm about to go on my first liveaboard. I'll be using nitrox, but I'm worried that Suunto's RGBM model will be too conservative, and cause me to miss a few dives. So, I'm looking for a replacement dive computer. I've heard good things about the Shearwater Perdix 2. It has most of the features I want, but I'm a bit concerned about the mechanics of transferring the dive log to my laptop / desktop.

Previously, I've been using the Suunto Vyper Novo + LibDiveComputer to extract the data from my dive computer and format into a nice excel sheet. I'd like to try to replicate the same with the Perdix 2, if possible.

I saw their "Shearwater Cloud" software that they're pushing, but (A): it doesn't look like it supports linux, (B): requires cloud connectivity to work, which may not be available in some sites, and (C): I'd rather not connect and upload my personal data to the cloud. So that seems like a non-starter. There's a legacy Shearwater Desktop package, but it looks deprecated and I don't know if the Perdix 2 is supported.

Does anyone know if...
1) LibDiveComputer suports the Perdix 2?
2) If not, is there a sane cross-platform way of extracting the data from the computer? I don't mind writing some code to do it, but I'm not sure how the communication with the device works (e.g. if it's a virtual COM port, that's simple, but if it's some custom bluetooth stack, that may be a little much)
3) If (1) and (2) aren't possible, any recommendations of a computer that fits this need? I suppose any of the ones on the libdivecomputer support list would work, but the list appears a bit dated.

Does anyone know if...
1) LibDiveComputer suports the Perdix 2?
I'd be shocked if it didn't. IIRC, the log software I mentioned below uses LibDiveComputer.
2) If not, is there a sane cross-platform way of extracting the data from the computer? I don't mind writing some code to do it, but I'm not sure how the communication with the device works (e.g. if it's a virtual COM port, that's simple, but if it's some custom bluetooth stack, that may be a little much)
Subsurface might be what you are looking for. It's free, you can either use via cloud, or just on the desktop. There are versions for Windows, Mac, Linux as well as iOS and Android. If using just on the desktop, you wouldn't be able to sync with mobile devices. Communication between the Perdix 2 and other device is by Bluetooth LE. Sometimes this is a bit flaky on some laptops. I have a Perdix AI, and normally use the mobile versions.

One thing though. You may still need to use Shearwater Cloud. You don't need to use the log, but this is currently the only way I'm aware of to update the firmware on the Perdix.

FWIW, the SubSurface project was started by Linus Torvalds if "keeping in the family" is a thing for you ...

Subsurface got very advanced recently, including full tech/CCR dive planning & logging. A few quirks to learn but it works.

The Shearwater phone app is another option if you want to see the whole dive profile in all its beauty.

I rarely bother with either though--just keep a spreadsheet of dive summary stats by hand on Google Sheets.. no dive computer connectivity required! (quicker, independent, customizable equations and graphs, ....)

Thanks for the replies, all. I just got the Perdix. Haven't tried out libdivecomputer, but I was able to borrow a windows laptop to poke around a bit with the desktop app. Seems like the desktop app is capable of exporting both XML and Sqlite3 DBs with all the relevant info, although the sqlite3 seems to be missing some data, the tables "dive_logs" and "dive_log_records" appear to be empty. I've contacted Shearwater support about this, and have yet to hear back.

In any case, I have a way to get the data I need. Thanks for the input :).

Thanks for the replies, all. I just got the Perdix. Haven't tried out libdivecomputer, but I was able to borrow a windows laptop to poke around a bit with the desktop app. Seems like the desktop app is capable of exporting both XML and Sqlite3 DBs with all the relevant info, although the sqlite3 seems to be missing some data, the tables "dive_logs" and "dive_log_records" appear to be empty. I've contacted Shearwater support about this, and have yet to hear back.

In any case, I have a way to get the data I need. Thanks for the input :).
Glad you got the data you needed, but I’m confused. The method you are describing seems complicated.

Subsurface sounds like it will be much easier. You can use it with or without cloud storage. Cloud storage lets you sync between multiple devices, but if you don’t want that, local storage is available.

This link will take you to the download page. Windows, Mac, and several Linux versions available.

I use Subsurface as my primary dive log. I have dives there from multiple computers (Oceanic VT4.1, Shearwater Perdix AI, and Garmin MK2s). I only use the Shearwater app for firmware updates anymore.

Back
Top Bottom