"Thank you" points (Questions and Answers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work in software development, and one usually can design features to be user-proof. If it takes a mod to police the new feature, perhaps the feature's design needs an honest review of purpose and implementation.
If that were truly possible, we wouldn't need Moderators. Every post would automagically be checked for quality of content, to be deleted if found lacking.

Some limitations have been added to the Post Thanks addition to promote the envisioned use. However, there are some things that cannot be enforced by software.

Some limitations have been added to the Post Thanks addition to promote the envisioned use. However, there are some things that cannot be enforced by software.

What limitations?

What limitations?
To name a few:
It cannot be used for posts in the Surface Interval.
You cannot thank yourself.
Banned members cannot be thanked.
Etc.

<suggestion

value="Why not implement a thanks quota? This is hosted on a computer... surely that behavior could be programmed?

If there were a limited number of posts one could thank in a given day, the thanks would then a) have more perceived value, and b) be intrinsically self-limiting.

Seems like a lot of energy (emotionally and otherwise) is being expended over something that seems so simple to control programagically. It could be such a non-issue. :)"

/>

I was recently warned that I was clicking the Thanks button too often. Go figure!

that is both too funny and too stupid at the same time. :rofl3:

I work in software development, and one usually can design features to be user-proof. If it takes a mod to police the new feature, perhaps the feature's design needs an honest review of purpose and implementation.

DING-DING-DING! I think I just heard the bell go off!

If there were a limited number of posts one could thank in a given day, the thanks would then a) have more perceived value, and b) be intrinsically self-limiting.
We could limit the number of thanked posts per day but that would not necessarily mean that the thanked posts would have more perceived value than without a daily limit.

To name a few:
It cannot be used for posts in the Surface Interval.
You cannot thank yourself.
Banned members cannot be thanked.
Etc.

Sounds like- MOF proofing? :D:D

Sounds like- MOF proofing? :D:D

38002560-200.gif

Most things can be broken if people try hard enough.

Presumably this feature is designed to help people notice valuable posts, and to a certain extent therefore trust the information in them more, as well as express genuine gratitude when getting a reply to your question.

Misusing it in an insincere and flippant way will obviously defeat that purpose.

Some people don't seem to care or have much respect for the efforts of others, if they themselves can't see the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom