Thailand at the beginning of February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to spend a few days in Thailand at the beginning of February. I am AOW (30 dives), and I like to see corals and fish. With my experience, I prefer sites without very strong currents. Also I prefer day trips as my husband doesn't dive, but if the diving it's very, very nice, maybe I'll consider 2 days/1 night on a liveaboard.

Where is best to go at this time of the year and what is the coral and fish situation? If it's not a good period for Thailand or the coral is dead, please tell me - I can change plans, so it's very important for me to know the truth (I was quite disapointed lately in Maui, Hawaii )

Any help will be appreciated as I have to decide on the vacation in a few days and I dont have much time for research.
Thank you

February is an excellent month for diving. The weather is nice, not too hot and the water will be 29 degrees Celsius, even at 30 meters deep.

The Similans islands will for sure offer what you are looking for, although the daytrips will take some travel time due to their remote location. You can expect crystal clear water, visibility beyond 30 meter. Several dive locations are drift dives, but there are enough sites without strong currents if that doesn't suit you. Khao Lak is well-known departure place for these trips.

If that distance is taking too much time, have a look further south on the west coast. Dive sites around Koh PhiPhi are quite close to the island, just like the other islands all the way down to Koh Lipe.

I'm sure several other SB members diving on the west coast will give you more detailed information.

The Andaman side of Thailand will be in high season in February with the possibility of seeing giant manta rays at some sites, particularly at Koh Bon in the Similan Islands National Park. The Similans are easily reachable by speedboat for daytrip diving, and it's also possible to get on a boat for a 2d/1n trip. For trips to the Similans, you will want to be based at Khao Lak for easiest transfers and the shortest time apart from hubby.

In addition to Khao Lak, you could base yourself at Phuket where there's plenty for your husband to do while you're diving (maybe he plays golf, for example? or maybe he'd like a walking tour of the Sino-Portuguese old-town of Phuket and a nice lunch?). Other options along the Andaman coast are Phi Phi, Lanta (already mentioned) and Lipe islands.

In regard to the health of the coral, you should be aware that there was indeed a coral bleaching event a few years back and that some of the very shallow dive sites were affected. We try not to take our divers to the dive sites where there are no healthy stands of corals, and the damaged sites are recovering, but they are not at their previous glory yet. The corals at deeper levels are fine, however, so as long as you dive and are not limited to snorkeling, you should be satisfied.

I would also recommend the Similans in early February, it's a very good time of the year.

One option is spending a night on the Similans , either in a tent or in the National Park rooms. I spent a night there in 2009 and at the time the air con rooms were fine , basic but cleanish with okayish food. That way your husband could come out with you if he wanted , have the day on the beach and join you for lunch. You do 2 dives . Then you will have from about 2.30 'till 9.30 the following morning together to relax and snorkel and enjoy the beach , which is fabulous after everybody has left. You are picked up , do two more dives and then head back to Khao Lak . I did this trip with Similan Diving Safaris in Khao Lak , who were excellent.

Ko Lanta is also excellent at that time and Hin Muang and Hin Daeng offer very good chances of seeing manta rays.

Hi!

Another place to consider would be Koh Chang! Diving here in february is very nice with plenty of fish, often in big schools. The diving on Koh Chang is really relaxed, we rarely get strong currents and most of our divesites are on a shallow depth which allows long divetimes. Since our divesites aren't too far away daytrips are the most common things, often with nondivers joining for snorkeling. Let me know if you need any more information! /Siri

I agree with the Similans too, great visibility and the islands are beautiful. daytrips are a bit long, either stay on the island as suggested or go on a 2 day 1 night trip, this can be arranged from either Khao Lak or Phuket. Phket has more to do for a non diver than Khao Lak.
Another option is an overnight trip to Phi Phi, great snorkeling as well as diving there and a chance to see the islands too.

HI,

At the beginning of February, both sides of Thailand are generally good. If you are loooking for a day trip and your husband doesn't dive, then I suggest Koh Samui as there is a lot of stuff to do and you can take a short day trip to sail rock which is an awesome site for a AOW. YOu can also be back with us by 1:30 after 2 dives. It you'd like more infomation please contact us at info@discoverydivers.com, or Discovery divers website

Back
Top Bottom